Tensor components of a Hodge dual

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the Hodge dual *A, which is a (n-p)-vector defined by A\wedge B = (*A, B)E for a p-vector A and (n-p)-vector B, where E is the basis e_1 \wedge ... \wedge e_n. The conversation also explores the difficulties in deriving the tensor components of the dual vector in an orthonormal basis and suggests considering the transformation of a basis of k-forms to simplify the process.
guhan
If A is a p-vector and B is a (n-p)-vector, then the hodge dual, *A, is defined by:
[TEX] A\ \wedge\ B = (*A,B)E \ \ \forall B\in \Lambda ^{(n-p)} [/TEX], where E=[TEX]e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/TEX]

I am having trouble in deriving the tensor components of the dual (n-p)-vector - *A.
Specifically, I am getting stuck when I write down the components of the (n,0)-tensor on both sides and then comparing the coefficients - because, the LHS involves the antisymmetrization, [TEX] A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] } [/TEX].
I got stuck with the LHS even when I took B to be just a simple (n-p)-vector of basis vectors. Because, when I do that, I get the following (n,0)-tensor on LHS...
[TEX]\frac{1}{n!} \sum_\sigma\ (-1)^\sigma\ A^{i_{\sigma (1)} ... i_{\sigma (p)}}\ \epsilon ^ {j_{\sigma (1)} ... j_{\sigma (n-p)}}\ \ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{j_1} \otimes ... e_{j_{n-p}} [/TEX]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a repost of the above message with clearer typesetting (and some more):

If A is a p-vector, then the hodge dual, [tex]*A[/tex] is a (n-p)-vector and is defined by:
[tex] A\ \wedge\ B = (*A,B)E \ \ ,\ \forall B\in \Lambda ^{(n-p)} [/tex]

[tex]\ where,\ \ E = e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/tex]

I am having trouble in deriving the tensor components of the dual (n-p)-vector - [tex]*A[/tex] in an orthonormal basis.
Specifically, I am getting stuck when I write down the components of the (n,0)-tensor on both sides and then comparing the coefficients - because, the LHS involves the antisymmetrization, [tex] A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] }\ .[/tex]

I proceed as follows, taking B to be a simple (n-p)-vector of orthonormal basis vectors...
[tex] i.e.\ \ Let\ B\ =\ e_{i_{p+1}}\ \wedge\ e_{i_{p+2}}\ \wedge\ ... \wedge\ e_{i_n}
\ =\ \frac{1}{n!} \epsilon^{i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
where [tex] \epsilon [/tex] (epsilon) is the Levi-Civita symbol and [tex] e_{i_x} [/tex] (subscripted e) are the o.n. basis vectors.

[tex] LHS [/tex]
[tex]=\ A\ \wedge\ B\ [/tex]
[tex]=\ A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] }\ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
[tex] =\ \left(\ \frac{1}{n!} \sum_\sigma\ (-1)^\sigma\ A^{i_{\sigma (1)} ... i_{\sigma (p)}}\ \epsilon ^ {i_{\sigma (p+1)} ... i_{\sigma (n)}}\ \right)\ \ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]

[tex] RHS [/tex]
[tex] =\ (*A,B)\ E [/tex]
[tex] =\ (*A,B)\ e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/tex]
[tex] =\ \left(\ (*A,B)\ \frac{1}{n!}\ \epsilon^{i_1, ... ,i_p,i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ \right) e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
[tex] =\ \left(\ \frac{1}{n!}\ \left(\ (n-p)!\ *A^{j_1,...,j_{n-p}} \epsilon_{j_1, ... ,j_{n-p}}\ \right)\ \epsilon^{i_1, ... ,i_p,i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ \right) e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]

Any pointers on how to proceed further?

It might be easier just to try to figure out how a basis of k-forms transforms. I.e. what is the dual of e_1 ^ e_2 ^ ... ^ e_k? Then you can show that that the Hodge dual is linear and write your form A in terms of the basis.

Related to Tensor components of a Hodge dual

1. What are tensor components?

Tensor components are quantities used to describe the geometric properties of an object. They are represented by numbers or symbols and are used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to describe the behavior of physical systems.

2. What is a Hodge dual?

A Hodge dual is a mathematical operation that takes a differential form in one vector space and maps it to a differential form in another vector space. It is used in differential geometry to study the properties of manifolds and in physics to describe the behavior of physical quantities in different coordinate systems.

3. How are tensor components related to the Hodge dual?

The Hodge dual is used to map tensor components from one vector space to another. This is done by taking the tensor components, raising or lowering their indices, and multiplying them by a factor known as the Hodge star. This process allows for a more concise and efficient representation of the tensor components.

4. What is the significance of the Hodge dual in physics?

The Hodge dual is used in physics to simplify the representation of physical quantities in different coordinate systems. It allows for the transformation of tensor components from one coordinate system to another, making it easier to study and analyze physical systems. It also has applications in fields such as electromagnetism, general relativity, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can the Hodge dual be applied to any type of tensor?

Yes, the Hodge dual can be applied to any type of tensor, including tensors of any rank and order. It is a general mathematical operation that is applicable to a wide range of tensor fields, making it a powerful tool in various areas of mathematics and physics.