Tensor of inertia - hollow cube.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the tensor of inertia for a rectangle and its use in determining the tensor of inertia for a hollow cube. The speaker mentions using the parallel axis theorem and trying an incorrect equation before arriving at the correct equation, I11=I22=I33=5/3*ma2, for calculating the desired tensor of inertia. They also express confusion about why all the diagonal elements of the rectangle's tensor are summed.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I have found the tensor of inertia of a rectangle of sides a and b and mass m, around its center, to be I11=ma2/12, I22=mb2/12, I33=(ma2 + mb2)/12. All other elements of that tensor are equal to zero. I would now like to use this result to determine the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube of side a around its center of mass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize I have to use the parallel axis theorem. I have hence tried the following:
I11=ma2/12 + m(a/2)2, which yielded the wrong answer.
I know that the correct equation is I11=I22=I33=ma2/12+ma2/12+ma2/6+4(ma2/12 + m(a/2)2)=5/3*ma2
I simply do not understand why this is correct. Could anyone please explain why this is the correct way to calculate the desired tensor of inertia? Also, why would I be summing all the diagonal elements in my tensor for the rectangle?

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
I realize I have to use the parallel axis theorem. I have hence tried the following:
I11=ma2/12 + m(a/2)2, which yielded the wrong answer.

Doesn't this give the contribution of only one of the sides of the cube? What about the other sides?

Attachments

• Cube.png
    Cube.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 2,580

FAQ: Tensor of inertia - hollow cube.

1. What is a tensor of inertia?

A tensor of inertia is a mathematical construct that describes the distribution of mass of an object in relation to its rotation. It is used to calculate an object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube different from a solid cube?

The main difference is in the distribution of mass. A solid cube has a uniform distribution of mass, while a hollow cube has a concentrated mass at its edges and corners. This results in a different tensor of inertia and moment of inertia for the two objects.

3. How is the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube calculated?

The tensor of inertia of a hollow cube can be calculated using the dimensions and mass of the cube. It involves integrating the mass distribution over the volume of the cube. The resulting tensor is a 3x3 matrix with nine different components.

4. Why is the tensor of inertia important in rotational motion?

The tensor of inertia is important because it helps determine an object's moment of inertia, which is essential in understanding its rotational motion. It also helps in predicting how an object will respond to external forces and torques.

5. Can the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube change?

No, the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube remains constant as long as the dimensions and mass of the cube do not change. However, it is possible for the tensor to change if the mass distribution within the cube changes, such as by adding or removing material from the edges or corners.

Back