Tensors of Free Groups and Abelian groups

In summary, for an Abelian group, the direct sum of copies of the group is the same as the group itself.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, let S be any set and let ##Z\{S\}## be the free group on ##S##, i.e., ##Z\{S\}## is
the collection of all functions of finite support on ##S##. I am trying to show
that for an Abelian group ##G## , we have that :

## \mathbb Z\{S\}\otimes G \sim |S|G = \bigoplus_{ s \in S} G ##, i.e., the direct sum of ##|S|## copies of ##G## , where ## \otimes ## is the tensor product of Abelian groups. I know that for ## \mathbb Z ## the integers , then ##\mathbb Z \otimes G \sim G ##( tensor over the integers ) by, e.g., the map ##(z,g)\rightarrow zg =g+g+...+g## ##z## times. I know two that any
basis for ## \mathbb Z\{S\} ## has cardinality that of ##S##.

But I don't see why ## \mathbb Z\{S\}\otimes G = \bigoplus_{ s \in S} G## , the direct sum of ##|S|## copies of ##G##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Define a map

[tex]T:\mathbb{Z}\{S\}\times G\rightarrow \bigoplus_{s\in S} G[/tex]

such that for ##s_k\in S## and ##c_k\in \mathbb{Z}##, we have ##T(c_1 s_1 + ... + c_n s_n, g) = (x_s)_{s\in S}## with ##x_{s_k} = c_kg##and ##x_s = 0_G## otherwise.

For example, we define ##T:\mathbb{Z}\{a,b,c\}\times G\rightarrow G^3## by ##T(na + mb + kc, g) = (ng, mg, kg)##.

Check that this map is bilinear as a map between ##\mathbb{Z}##-modules. Thus it gives rise to a map

[tex]T:\mathbb{Z}\{S\}\otimes G\rightarrow \bigoplus_{s\in S} G[/tex]

by the universal property of tensor products. Check that it is a bijection.

I see, every bilinear map factors thru the quotient of the free module on S by the module of the bilinearity relations , and this quotient is the tensor product, so we get a linear map from the tensor product to ##\bigoplus _{ s\in S} G . I can see it is a bijection. This is a useful approach I have seen used in some results. My algebra obviously needs work. Thanks.

Related to Tensors of Free Groups and Abelian groups

1. What are tensors of free groups and abelian groups?

Tensors of free groups and abelian groups are mathematical objects used to represent the relationships between elements in these groups. They are used to study the algebraic and geometric properties of these groups.

2. How are tensors of free groups and abelian groups defined?

Tensors of free groups and abelian groups are defined as multi-linear maps that take elements from the group and return a real or complex number. They are defined using basis elements and coefficients, and can be represented using a tensor product or tensor algebra.

3. What is the significance of tensors in the study of free groups and abelian groups?

Tensors play a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of free groups and abelian groups. They allow for the analysis of group elements and operations in a more general and abstract way, leading to deeper insights and applications.

4. How are tensors of free groups and abelian groups used in physics?

In physics, tensors of free groups and abelian groups are used to represent the physical properties of systems with multiple degrees of freedom. They are used in areas such as general relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics to describe the relationships between physical quantities.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tensors of free groups and abelian groups?

Yes, tensors of free groups and abelian groups have numerous real-world applications. They are used in fields such as engineering, computer science, and data analysis to model and manipulate data in a multidimensional space. They also have applications in machine learning and artificial intelligence.