Term Symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2

In summary, the term symbol for carbon atom with two equivalent p electrons is 1D2, 3P2, 1, 0, 1P1, and 3S1. However, this list is not complete as it does not take into account Hund's rules which dictate the lowest energy state for each possible combination of L and S. Using Hund's rules, the term symbol 1P1 should also be included. This is determined by considering all possible combinations of L and S and eliminating those that are not allowed according to Hund's rules.
FloridaGators
Term Symbol for Carbon Total Angular Momentum

1. Write the term symnbols for carbon atom He2s22p2 which has two equivalent p electrons taking into account the Pauli exclusion principle.
3. Since the carbon has two equivalent p-electrons, we know the l1=1 and that l2=1 as well. Also the spins for both the electrons are 1/2. So the sum of the spin is either 1 or 0. I'm not quit sure where to go from here. l = 2, 1 or 0, meaning we have S, P and D terms. I tabulated a table of 15 elements permuting the various l, s terms for the two electrons making no two have the same numbers. Is there an easier way to do this?

So, Far I've gotten 1D2, 3P2,1,0, 1P1 and 3S1. Are there all the terms?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use Hund's rules here. Unless you are supposed to list all possible choices.

Hund's rules would just tell me which state is the lowest in energy of all the possible ones right? But the ones I listed are not Pauli forbidden states right and they are all possible?

Ya i actually just read that, but I still don't understand.

You have a state where
electron 1: l = 0 s = +1/2
electron 2: l = 1 s = -1/2

Here L = 1, and S = 0
So doesn't this correspond to a state of 1P1.. why is this term not included?

Lets assume you have the 2 electrons in that configuration. Then you know:

m_l = +1, and m_s = 0

But you also know, L=1 or 2 can give you m_l = +1. So you don't know which L it is. Also, you know S=0 or 1 can give you m_s = 0. You usually check the higher L's and S's first before you check the next lowest L or S. And since I can make states with m_l = +2, +1, 0, -1, -2 using m_s=0 only (I am unable to do so with m_s=+/-1), then I know L=2 and S=0, and I take those possible electron configurations away.

Then you might ask about,
e1: l=0, s=-1/2
e2: l=1, s=+1/2

Well, since I already checked L=2 with S=1,0 and only L=2 S=0 worked out. Now I will check L=1 and S=1,0. Turns out, L=1 S=1 can exist, which does have a state m_l = 1, m_s = 0, and I can also make m_l=1 and m_s = +/-1 states that weren't used yet. So I pull out that possible electron configuration.

Now I am unable to make anymore m_l=1, and m_s=0 states. So poor L=1, S=0 can't exist.

Basically it is a combination game, where you try all possible combinations of L,S that can use up all the possible electron configurations exactly.

Also, once you include 3 electrons this game can become very difficult very fast. But using Hund's rules makes it very easy to find the ground state with any number of electrons.

Last edited:

Related to Term Symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2

1. What is the term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2?

The term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 is ^3P.

2. What does the term symbol ^3P mean?

The term symbol ^3P describes the electronic state of an atom or molecule. In this case, ^3P represents a triplet state with an orbital angular momentum quantum number of 1.

3. How is the term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 determined?

The term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 is determined using Hund's rule and the Aufbau principle. First, the electrons are filled into the lowest energy orbitals according to the Aufbau principle. Then, Hund's rule is used to determine the term symbol by maximizing the total spin of the electrons.

4. What is the significance of the term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2?

The term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 provides important information about the electronic configuration and energy levels of the atom. It is useful in understanding the properties of Carbon and its interactions with other atoms or molecules.

5. Can the term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 change?

Yes, the term symbol for Carbon He2s^22p^2 can change if the energy levels of the electrons change. For example, if an electron is excited to a higher energy level, the term symbol may change accordingly.