Terminal speed and acceleration problem

In summary: At greater than terminal speed the acceleration due to air friction is (less/greater/equal) than g.The acceleration due to air resistance is always in the same direction as the acceleration due to gravity. So the sum of the two is always the acceleration you want.
MTBrider
I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Hope someone can help

A ball dropped from rest accelerates at a rate of 9.81 m/s2 if we ignore air resistance. If air
resistance is not ignored, the ball reaches a terminal speed when the friction force of the air
acting on the falling ball is equal to the gravitational force acting upon the ball. If, instead of
being dropped, the ball is hurled upwards into the air at a speed greater than the terminal
speed the acceleration of the ball is…
a) 9.81 m/s2
b) less than 9.81 m/s2
c) greater than 9.81 m/s2 but less than 19.62 m/s2
d) 19.62 m/s2 or greater
e) More information is required.

I'm thinking you would need more information to actually pin down a number for the acceleration but I may be wrong. Would it be C, greater than g but less than 2g?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At greater than terminal speed the acceleration due to air friction is (less/greater/equal) than g.

this acceleration is in the (same/opposite) direction as the acceleration due to gravity.

the sum of both is the acceleration you want.

Thank you, got it worked out

When the ball is falling downward at terminal speed the frictional air resistance is acting opposite to the direction of gravity, and the ball doesn't accelerate (since it's moving at constant velocity). Therefore, Friction = mg.

Air resistance/friction increases as speed increases. So if the ball is thrown up at a speed greater than the terminal speed, the force of air friction is at least equal to mg.

When the ball is thrown up, gravity and air resistance both act in the same direction (down).

Therefore, the minimum force acting on the ball is the force due to air resistance PLUS the force due to gravity, which is F = mg + mg = 2mg

Since F = ma, 2mg = ma, and a = 2g = 2*9.81 = 19.62 m/s^2 (minimum)

The acceleration of the ball is d) 19.62 m/s^2 or greater

MTBrider said:
I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Hope someone can help

A ball dropped from rest accelerates at a rate of 9.81 m/s2 if we ignore air resistance. If air
resistance is not ignored, the ball reaches a terminal speed when the friction force of the air
acting on the falling ball is equal to the gravitational force acting upon the ball. If, instead of
being dropped, the ball is hurled upwards into the air at a speed greater than the terminal
speed the acceleration of the ball is…
a) 9.81 m/s2
b) less than 9.81 m/s2
c) greater than 9.81 m/s2 but less than 19.62 m/s2
d) 19.62 m/s2 or greater
e) More information is required.

I'm thinking you would need more information to actually pin down a number for the acceleration but I may be wrong. Would it be C, greater than g but less than 2g?

Related to Terminal speed and acceleration problem

1. What is terminal speed?

Terminal speed, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water, due to the balance of forces acting on the object.

2. How is terminal speed calculated?

Terminal speed is calculated using the equation v = (mg/cd)^1/2, where v is the terminal speed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and cd is the drag coefficient of the object.

3. What factors affect terminal speed?

The factors that affect terminal speed include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through, and the force of gravity.

4. What is the difference between terminal speed and acceleration?

Terminal speed is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, while acceleration is the rate at which the object's speed changes. Terminal speed is the result of a balance of forces, while acceleration is caused by an unbalanced force.

5. How can terminal speed be affected by air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect an object's terminal speed by slowing it down due to the force of the fluid pushing against the object. The larger the surface area and the greater the drag coefficient of the object, the lower the terminal speed will be.