Test My Idea: Create a Small Ionosphere with Electricity & Nickle

In summary, the individual is proposing an idea to create a small Ionosphere using a piece of nickel and electricity, in order to protect spacecraft from gamma radiation in space. However, it is pointed out that this idea has already been proposed for interplanetary journeys and would require a significant amount of power. Additionally, it is clarified that the Earth's magnetic field is not generated in the same way as the proposed mechanism. Finally, it is noted that gamma radiation is not influenced by electromagnetic fields in ways relevant for space travel.
troyparker2012
I have no way to test an idea that I have been thinking about, but would like some one to test it. To keep it simple all you would need to do is take a piece of nickle and shock it with electricity. This would need to be done in a place that has a way to test if there is an Ionosphere.

This is why I believe this will work. Our own planet has an Ionosphere that is caused by liquid nickle at the middle of our core. This nickle moves around causing magnetic flow. In order to simulate this you could take solid nickle, and then electrocute it. My hope is that it will cause the nickle to form magnetic lines where the electricity flows though the nickle.

Creating a small Ionosphere would be great for those going into space. It could protect them against the gamma radiation from the sun.

Can some one please test this, and let me know what the results are.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can generate a magnetic field if you let a current flow through a conductor (like nickel, but every metal is possible). That is nothing you need to test. A magnetic field in space will influence solar wind and cosmic rays - again, nothing new. On the scale of our earth, this leads to the ionosphere. A spacecraft cannot generate a magnetic field as large as earth, so its field would have to be much more intense to do the same. This has been proposed for interplanetary journeys (and it has a wikipedia article), but it will likely need way too much power to be reasonable.

That has nothing to do with the mechanism our Earth generates its magnetic field, however.

It could protect them against the gamma radiation from the sun.
Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation, they are not influenced by electromagnetic fields (at least not in ways relevant for space travel).

I'm not sure about the right forum for this thread.

FAQ: Test My Idea: Create a Small Ionosphere with Electricity & Nickle

1. What is the purpose of creating a small ionosphere with electricity and nickel?

The purpose of this experiment is to simulate conditions in the Earth's ionosphere, which is a layer of the Earth's atmosphere that is ionized by solar and cosmic radiation. By creating a small ionosphere, scientists can study and better understand the behavior and effects of this region on Earth.

2. How is electricity used to create a small ionosphere?

Electricity is used to ionize the nickel, which means it strips the nickel atoms of their electrons, creating positively charged ions. These ions then interact with the surrounding air molecules to form an ionized gas, similar to the process that occurs in the Earth's ionosphere.

3. What materials are needed to conduct this experiment?

To create a small ionosphere with electricity and nickel, you will need a source of electricity, such as a battery or power supply, a piece of nickel metal, and a container or setup to contain the experiment. You may also need additional materials for safety and measuring purposes, such as gloves, goggles, and a voltmeter.

4. What are the potential risks of this experiment?

As with any scientific experiment involving electricity, there is a risk of electric shock or fire. It is important to take proper safety precautions and use protective equipment when conducting this experiment. Additionally, there may be potential risks associated with handling the nickel metal, such as skin irritation or inhalation hazards.

5. What can be learned from creating a small ionosphere with electricity and nickel?

By creating a small ionosphere, scientists can study the behavior and effects of ionized gases, which are important for understanding atmospheric processes and phenomena such as radio wave propagation and auroras. This experiment can also provide insights into the behavior of the Earth's ionosphere and help improve our understanding of other planetary atmospheres.