Test the set of functions for linear independence in F

In summary, the set of {1, ln(2x), ln(x^2)} has been tested for linear independence in F, the set of all functions. By finding nonzero coefficients a, b, and c that satisfy the linear combination a(1) + b(ln(2x)) + c(ln(x^2)) = 0, it has been shown that the set is linearly dependent. One of the functions, ln(x^2), can be expressed as a linear combination of the other two functions, 1 and ln(2x).
Sun God

Homework Statement

Test the set of {1, ln(2x), ln(x^2)} for linear independence in F, the set of all functions.

If it is linearly dependent, express one of the functions as a linear combination of the others.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if [ a(1) + b(ln(2x)) + c(ln(x^2)) = 0 ] implies [ a = b = c = 0 ], then the set is linearly independent. Otherwise, it is linearly dependent.

The book gives an example problem where you can plug in 0 for x and solve for the coefficients, which are then shown to be 0. But that doesn't really work here.

Plugged in x=1: a+b(ln2) + cln(1) =0 implies a + bln2 = 0.

It works neatly in the book example (sinx, cosx) but doesn't really in this case. I can't think of any way to go about doing this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sun God said:

Homework Statement

Test the set of {1, ln(2x), ln(x^2)} for linear independence in F, the set of all functions.

If it is linearly dependent, express one of the functions as a linear combination of the others.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if [ a(1) + b(ln(2x)) + c(ln(x^2)) = 0 ] implies [ a = b = c = 0 ], then the set is linearly independent. Otherwise, it is linearly dependent.

The book gives an example problem where you can plug in 0 for x and solve for the coefficients, which are then shown to be 0. But that doesn't really work here.

Plugged in x=1: a+b(ln2) + cln(1) =0 implies a + bln2 = 0.

It works neatly in the book example (sinx, cosx) but doesn't really in this case. I can't think of any way to go about doing this...

Try simplifying your ln functions using properties of logarithms and see if that gives you any ideas.

Thank you for the help. Apologies again if I'm missing something that's obvious, but I still cannot find the answer. This is my process:

a(1) + b(ln2x) + c(ln(x^2))

= a(1) + b(ln2 + lnx) + c(2lnx)

= a + bln2 + blnx + 2clnx

= a + b*ln2 + (b+2c)*lnx

After trying to play around with it some more, set up some kind of system of equations, reason it out, etc. I still can't find some way to prove or disprove that a = b = c = 0. Any more suggestions? :\

Last edited:
Sun God said:
Thank you for the help. Apologies again if I'm missing something that's obvious, but I still cannot find the answer. This is my process:

a(1) + b(ln2x) + c(ln(x^2))

= a(1) + b(ln2 + lnx) + c(2lnx)

= a + bln2 + blnx + 2clnx

= a + b*ln2 + (b+2c)*lnx

After trying to play around with it some more, set up some kind of system of equations, reason it out, etc. I still can't find some way to prove or disprove that a = b = c = 0. Any more suggestions? :\

That's good. So you've got a+b*ln(2)=0 and b+2c=0. How about putting c=1 and b=(-2). Now what's a?

Okay, to follow the above poster:

I have a system of equations of

a + bln2 = 0
b + 2c = 0

I set c = 1 and b = -2

Then I get a = 2ln2

Plug this back into the original equation to get

2ln2 - 2ln2 - 2lnx + 2lnx = 0

Which is always true, therefore the functions ARE linearly independent.

My understanding of some of these concepts is probably shaky, since reading through this I still haven't managed to convince myself that this is true (like for instance, how did the values for b and c come about? guess and check?). But I will go over the concepts several times and see if it sticks, thanks everyone!

Sun God said:
Okay, to follow the above poster:

I have a system of equations of

a + bln2 = 0
b + 2c = 0

I set c = 1 and b = -2

Then I get a = 2ln2

Plug this back into the original equation to get

2ln2 - 2ln2 - 2lnx + 2lnx = 0

Which is always true, therefore the functions ARE linearly independent.

My understanding of some of these concepts is probably shaky, since reading through this I still haven't managed to convince myself that this is true (like for instance, how did the values for b and c come about? guess and check?). But I will go over the concepts several times and see if it sticks, thanks everyone!

No, no. Finding a nonzero a, b, c shows that they are linearly dependent. Not independent!

Ahaha... no wonder it wasn't making sense to me. It's clearer now, much thanks for your patience!

(To clarify for myself and maybe others: it was a matter of finding nonzero coefficients a, b, c and still have the linear combination of the functions equal to zero; if we found such a, b, and c, then the set of functions functions cannot be linearly independent.)

So to finish up the problem, I would show linear dependence by writing one function in terms of the other:

First plug in our values for a, b, c: (2ln2)(1) + (-2)(ln2x) + (ln(x^2)) = 0

which equals:

2ln2 + ln(x^2) = 2ln2x

which we can confirm by playing with ln properties:

2ln2 + 2lnx = 2ln2x
2(ln2 + lnx) = 2ln2x
2ln2x = 2ln2x

Okay. Thanks again.

FAQ: Test the set of functions for linear independence in F

1. What is the definition of linear independence in F?

Linear independence in F refers to a set of functions where none of the functions in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, there is no way to express one function in the set as a combination of the other functions.

2. How do you test a set of functions for linear independence in F?

To test a set of functions for linear independence in F, you can use the determinant test. This involves creating a matrix with the coefficients of the functions in the set, and then calculating the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, the functions are linearly independent. If the determinant is zero, the functions are linearly dependent.

3. Can a set of functions be linearly independent in one field but dependent in another?

Yes, a set of functions can be linearly independent in one field but dependent in another. This is because the coefficients used in the determinant test are specific to the field being used. If the coefficients are from a different field, the determinant may be different and therefore the result of linear independence or dependence may also be different.

4. What is the significance of testing for linear independence in F?

Testing for linear independence in F is important in linear algebra and other mathematical fields. It helps determine if a set of functions is a basis for a vector space, which is crucial in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of vector spaces.

5. Can a set of functions be neither linearly independent nor dependent in F?

No, a set of functions must be either linearly independent or dependent in F. This is because the concept of linear independence or dependence is based on the properties of vector spaces and cannot be applied to a set of functions that does not belong to a vector space.