Testing instrumenation amplifier

In summary, the Homework Statement says that the tester is testing a 3 OP instrumentation amplifier and has to short V2 to ground and test V1 from -2V to 2V, in 0.25 increments. The tester then has to short V1 to ground and test V2 from -2 to 2V in 0.25 increments. The tester then has to find the gain over this small range of input voltages. The gain for each two rows of the table will be 6+6=12 and 12 is the overall gain for the INA.
nothing909

Homework Statement

I just have some very simple questions to ask.

I'm testing a basic 3 OP instrumentation amplifier

INA.png

I have to short V2 to ground and test V1 from -2V to 2V, in 0.25 increments.

I then have to short V1 to ground and test V2 from -2 to 2V in 0.25 increments.

the results i have for V1 are for example:

2 vout = ~12.2
1.75 vout = ~11.4
1.5 vout = ~ 10.8
1.25 vout = ~ 9.2

i then have this equation to find the gain:

∂vout/
∂vin1

when I'm doing this equation, I'm not undestanding the ∂. do i add up all the results and then divide it by all the vin1's added up like:

12.2+11.4+10.8.../2+1.75+1.25...

or will i just take one result like 11.4/1.75.

i know this is stupid question, i just want to know if I'm doing it right. either way i do it, i get like ~6.

when i do both the tests, each gain is ~6. do both the gain of each of the buffer amplifier add up 6+6=12 and 12 is the overall gain for the INA?

Attachments

• INA.png
    INA.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
Make an accurate table of your outputs against inputs.
Then for each two rows of the table, compute the step change of input = dVi, and the step change of output = dVo.
The gain over that small range of input will be dVo / dVi.
You may find gain varies over the input voltage range and between inputs.
You may find limits to input voltages that produce sensible outputs.
INA is a difference amplifier so if gain of + side is 6 and - side is 6, differential gain is 6.

Last edited:
I don't understand what u mean when you say "compute the step change of input..."

say my results are this:

results.PNG

how do i get the gain for these 2 result tables? they're very similar, but the negative and positives are opposite for each set of results.
can you explain a bit more simply how to get the gain using ∂vout/∂vin1?

thanks

Attachments

• results.PNG
    results.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 282

Related to Testing instrumenation amplifier

1. What is a testing instrumentation amplifier?

A testing instrumentation amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that is used to amplify and measure small electrical signals. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications to accurately measure and analyze signals from sensors, transducers, and other electronic devices.

2. How does a testing instrumentation amplifier work?

A testing instrumentation amplifier typically consists of three operational amplifiers (op-amps) that are connected in a specific configuration to amplify and filter the input signal. It also includes a feedback network to adjust the gain and a reference voltage to provide a stable output signal.

3. What are the benefits of using a testing instrumentation amplifier?

There are several benefits of using a testing instrumentation amplifier, including high accuracy and precision, low noise and distortion, and a wide frequency range. It also offers high input impedance, which minimizes the loading effect on the signal source.

4. How do you calibrate a testing instrumentation amplifier?

To calibrate a testing instrumentation amplifier, you will need a known input signal and a multimeter or oscilloscope. First, adjust the gain and offset controls to their mid-range values. Then, apply the known input signal and measure the output. Use the gain and offset controls to adjust the output to match the known value.

5. What are some common applications of testing instrumentation amplifiers?

Testing instrumentation amplifiers are commonly used in various industries, including medical, automotive, aerospace, and telecommunications. They are used to measure and analyze signals from sensors, strain gauges, thermocouples, and other electronic devices. They are also used in research and development for testing and prototyping new electronic circuits and systems.