Testing relativity and_________

In summary, the conversation discussed a link to a shortened version of a paper on high energy astronomy, written by Floyd Stecker, an authority on the subject. The link was found by one of the participants and was deemed encouraging as it confidently talks about the launch of GLAST in 2007. The conversation also touched on the potential impact of understanding the quantum world on our future.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
good find. I found that the link gave a shortened version of the full abstract that comes with the paper. Floyd Stecker is an authority on high energy astronomy and an insider (Goddard, Maryland).
I'll add this one to the links thread. It is encouraging that he talks confidently of GLAST launch in 2007

marcus said:
good find. I found that the link gave a shortened version of the full abstract that comes with the paper. Floyd Stecker is an authority on high energy astronomy and an insider (Goddard, Maryland).
I'll add this one to the links thread. It is encouraging that he talks confidently of GLAST launch in 2007

You know Marcus at last i am getting a sort of warm glow inside, i can not explain it but i am sure some thing tasty will come out of the oven soon.

wolram said:
You know Marcus at last i am getting a sort of warm glow inside, i can not explain it but i am sure some thing tasty will come out of the oven soon.

I hope you are right, Wolram.

When we know the quantum world what will be next? it is sort of the predictor of our future or lack of.

Related to Testing relativity and_________

1. What is the theory of relativity and how is it tested?

The theory of relativity, first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory has been tested through various experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is the theory of relativity different from Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion were the prevailing theories of motion before Einstein's theory of relativity. However, the theory of relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This led to a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the universe.

3. What are some real-world applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has had numerous applications in modern technology, including GPS systems, which use the concept of time dilation to accurately measure location. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear power and particle accelerators, as it helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. How has the theory of relativity been confirmed and tested over time?

Since its initial proposal, the theory of relativity has been confirmed and tested through numerous experiments and observations. For example, the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravity during a solar eclipse confirmed the theory's prediction of how gravity affects light. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for more precise measurements, further validating the theory.

5. Are there any current efforts to disprove the theory of relativity?

Despite its widespread acceptance and numerous successful tests, there are always efforts to disprove or refine the theory of relativity. Some scientists are exploring alternative theories of gravity, while others are searching for experimental evidence that could challenge Einstein's theories. However, the theory of relativity remains one of the most well-supported and fundamental theories in modern physics.