Tetrahedron car crash prevention

In summary, the question is whether four cars can travel without crashing on a planet in the shape of a regular tetrahedron, with each car traveling at a constant speed clockwise along the edges of the equilateral triangles that make up the surface. It has been determined that this is not possible, even with three cars, as they will eventually collide at some point.
djuiceholder

Homework Statement

Imagine a planet in the shape of a regular tetrahedron (its surface consists of 4 equilateral triangles). Suppose that on each face there is a car traveling at a constant speed in clockwise direction along the edges bounding the face. Can they travel without crashing?

Homework Equations

I don't know how and where to start working on this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I really need help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
djuiceholder said:

Homework Statement

Imagine a planet in the shape of a regular tetrahedron (its surface consists of 4 equilateral triangles). Suppose that on each face there is a car traveling at a constant speed in clockwise direction along the edges bounding the face. Can they travel without crashing?

Homework Equations

I don't know how and where to start working on this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I really need help :(

Have a look at this picture:
tetrahedroncars.jpg

Suppose, for example, the red car is on edge 3. Convince yourself that neither the yellow or green cars can be on the "opposite" edge 5 to prevent future collisions. The same idea works for each edge and its opposite. Does that give you any ideas?

Last edited:
Well, the OP seems to have disappeared, but I still think it is an interesting question. I think my last post leads to a proof that 4 cars can't do it. Even assuming there are traffic circles at the vertices, they will have a head-on collision along some edge.

But what about three cars? Without traffic circles at the vertices, so they can't arrive at a vertex at the same time, I don't think they can do it either, but I don't have a proof. If you assume they have traffic circles, then three cars can do it precisely by arriving at the vertices at the same time. Killing a bit of time with Maple, I made the following gif to illustrate it:

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/pix/cars.gif

You have to imagine the traffic circles. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, thanks a lot. So, that means they can not travel without crashing. Even, 3 cars can't.

djuiceholder said:
wow, thanks a lot. So, that means they can not travel without crashing. Even, 3 cars can't.

I haven't proven that three cars can't do it without traffic circles, but I suspect they can't. The attached example shows an effort where they don't arrive at the intersections simultaneously. Unfortunately, there is an accident:

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/pix/cars2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Tetrahedron car crash prevention

What is a Tetrahedron car crash prevention?

A Tetrahedron car crash prevention is a safety system designed to minimize the impact and damage of car crashes. It uses the shape of a tetrahedron, a solid figure with four triangular faces, to absorb and distribute impact forces in a car crash.

How does a Tetrahedron car crash prevention work?

The system uses a tetrahedron-shaped structure made of strong and lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber or aluminum, to surround the passengers and the car's engine. In the event of a crash, the structure absorbs and distributes the impact forces throughout its shape, rather than concentrating them in one area. This helps to reduce the severity of injuries and damage to the car.

What are the benefits of using a Tetrahedron car crash prevention?

The main benefit of this system is its ability to minimize the impact of car crashes, thereby reducing the risk of injuries and fatalities. It also helps to protect passengers and the car's engine from direct impact, which can result in costly repairs. Additionally, the use of lightweight materials makes the car more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly.

Is the Tetrahedron car crash prevention system effective?

Yes, studies have shown that the use of a Tetrahedron car crash prevention system can significantly reduce the severity of injuries and damage in car crashes. It is also more effective than traditional safety systems, such as airbags and seat belts, as it distributes impact forces more evenly.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Tetrahedron car crash prevention system?

The main drawback of this system is its cost. As the materials used are lightweight and strong, they can be expensive to produce and install in cars. This may make it less accessible for lower-income individuals. Additionally, the design of the structure may also limit the interior space of the car, reducing passenger comfort.