TeXnicCenter question (tool-tip) below typing?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TeXnicCenter for writing papers and how to utilize the tool-tip feature for equations and figures. The tool-tip can be inserted by hitting control-space, but it only responds to typing "equ" or "fig" without any other text. The speaker also mentions their own experience in figuring out how to use the tool-tip feature.
jackmell
Hi,

You guys use TeXnicCenter for writing papers? I think it's pretty good. So when I'm in the process of typing in an equation and I start typing:

\begin{equ

right there, a little yellow window or tool-tip I guess pops in below where I'm typing which looks like the construct for the equation. What do I do with that? Can I somehow select it and the skeleton for the equation construct gets inserted into my document? You guys know?

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jackmell,

jackmell said:
Hi,

You guys use TeXnicCenter for writing papers? I think it's pretty good. So when I'm in the process of typing in an equation and I start typing:

\begin{equ

right there, a little yellow window or tool-tip I guess pops in below where I'm typing which looks like the construct for the equation. What do I do with that? Can I somehow select it and the skeleton for the equation construct gets inserted into my document? You guys know?

Thanks,
Jack

Yes, once that pops up, you can hit control-space for it to be inserted.

However, the tool-tip is actually responding to you typing "equ". So what you need to do, is only the type the "equ" (not the "\begin{" part).

The one that I find most useful is for figures. Just go to an empty line, type "fig", and then ctrl-space.

Thanks a bunch! :)

jackmell said:
Thanks a bunch! :)

My pleasure! I really like TexnicCenter, but it took me a surprisingly long time to figure out how to do the tooltips.

Hi Jack,

Yes, I also use TeXnicCenter for writing papers and I agree, it is a great tool for typesetting equations. The little yellow window that pops up while you are typing is called the "auto-completion" feature. It is designed to help you construct equations faster and more accurately. You can select the suggested equation construct by pressing the "Tab" key on your keyboard. This will insert the skeleton for the equation into your document and you can then fill in the necessary variables and symbols. I hope this helps. Happy writing!

Best,

FAQ: TeXnicCenter question (tool-tip) below typing?

1. What is TeXnicCenter?

TeXnicCenter is a free and open-source integrated development environment (IDE) used for creating and editing documents written in the TeX and LaTeX markup languages.

2. What is the purpose of the tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter?

The tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter provides helpful information about commands and functions as you type, making it easier to write and edit TeX and LaTeX documents.

3. How do I enable the tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter?

To enable the tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter, go to the "Tools" menu, select "Options," and then click on the "Editor" tab. Check the box next to "Show tooltips for commands" and click "OK."

4. Can I customize the tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter?

Yes, you can customize the tool-tip feature in TeXnicCenter by going to the "Tools" menu, selecting "Options," and then clicking on the "Editor" tab. From there, you can change the delay time and the appearance of the tool-tip.

5. Is the tool-tip feature available in all versions of TeXnicCenter?

Yes, the tool-tip feature is available in all versions of TeXnicCenter. However, some older versions may have limited customization options compared to newer versions.