Textbook for GRE subject test preparation

In summary, the individual is planning to take the physics GRE subject test and has been recommended to read a general physics textbook for review. They are unsure of which textbook to choose and are looking for one with problems at the level of the GRE test. They are advised to look at websites, such as the ETS website, for practice tests and information on the test content. They are also recommended a book written by physics grad students at MIT, which is up to date and may be useful for preparation.
rimski
Hi,

I'm planning to take the physics GRE subject test in the near future. I have a good undergrad education, so I was recommended to pick up a general physics textbook and to read it completely as a study review.

The question is: what textbook? I know the names of the most common ones (Tipler, Serway, Halliday), but as I never used them in my intro courses, I don't know which one is the best. It must have problems at the level of the GRE test.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rimski said:
Hi,

I'm planning to take the physics GRE subject test in the near future. I have a good undergrad education, so I was recommended to pick up a general physics textbook and to read it completely as a study review.

The question is: what textbook? I know the names of the most common ones (Tipler, Serway, Halliday), but as I never used them in my intro courses, I don't know which one is the best. It must have problems at the level of the GRE test.

Thanks.

I would recommend looking at some websites. You can find a practice test on the ETS website. They also explain what is covered in the test ( e.g. 20% classical mechanics, 18% electromagnetism, 9% optics & wave phenomena, etc). There are some threads on here that will help. I remember seeing some that I would revisit later that will be able to help the both of us. If I'm able to find them, I'll come back and post the links to the threads.

If you're interested, there is a https://www.amazon.com/dp/1479274631/?tag=pfamazon01-20 available. It was written by a couple of physics grad students at MIT, and it's only three years old, so the information should be pretty up to date. I don't personally have any experience with it, but I do intend to pick it up in another year or so when I have to start preparing for the GRE.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Textbook for GRE subject test preparation

1. What subjects does the GRE subject test cover?

The GRE subject test covers a wide range of subjects, including biology, chemistry, literature in English, mathematics, physics, and psychology. It is important to check with your desired graduate program to determine which subject test is required for admission.

2. How should I prepare for the GRE subject test?

Preparing for the GRE subject test involves reviewing fundamental concepts, practicing with sample questions and tests, and familiarizing yourself with the test format. Textbooks specifically designed for GRE subject test preparation can also be helpful in guiding your study.

3. Is the GRE subject test more difficult than the general GRE?

The GRE subject test is designed to assess your knowledge of a specific subject, so it may be more challenging for some individuals depending on their strengths and weaknesses. However, the general GRE covers a wider range of subjects and may require a broader range of skills.

4. How is the GRE subject test scored?

The GRE subject test is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 200 being the lowest score and 990 being the highest. The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The score is also scaled to account for any differences in difficulty between versions of the test.

5. Can I retake the GRE subject test?

Yes, you can retake the GRE subject test if you are not satisfied with your initial score. However, you must wait at least 60 days before retaking the test, and you must pay the full test fee each time you take it. It is important to carefully prepare for the test to avoid having to retake it.