Textbook or other resource with comprehensive challenging problems?

In summary, the Openstax College Physics book does not have solutions, but the student's solutions are helpful.
spsch
Hi all, can you recommend a textbook or other resource with comprehensive (meaning spanning multiple subjects) and challenging physics problems and also the solutions?

I have already worked through Giancoli (no-calculus), Ohanian (calc based) and the two dummies workbooks.

I have been working on old exam problems, which are great because most of them require you to combine several ideas, and they are fun, but because there are no solutions I am always worried that I did something wrong even if I can solve it in several different ways.

The prefix asks me to specify so I entered Classical, but I'm also interested in Electromagnetism.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might check out the Openstax.org University textbooks for challenging problems.

openstax.org

In particular, this volume which covers EM theory:

https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-2
However, if you want a more Maxwellian treatment with Vector Calculus then you need to consider a book called Div Grad Curl and All That, a light weight treatment:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393925161/?tag=pfamazon01-20

which would have some discussion following this level of math:

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~pjh/teaching/phz3113/notes/week6.pdf
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~pjh/teaching/phz3113/notes/

Likes spsch
Hi, Thank you! I love the openstax books, they helped me a lot, especially in math and in particular their wealth of problems.

I was really silly. I have worked on the Openstax College Physics book and found that they don't have solutions, and the students' solutions were only minimal, unlike the math textbooks where there were all the odd solutions.
I just assumed the uni books are the same, but I was wrong.
They have all the solutions to the odd problems too so that I can check my work!

Thank you so much. I'm happy I found some new problems to work on.

Related to Textbook or other resource with comprehensive challenging problems?

1. What is the purpose of a textbook or other resource with comprehensive challenging problems?

The purpose of a textbook or other resource with comprehensive challenging problems is to provide students with a deeper understanding of the subject matter by presenting them with complex problems to solve. This allows students to apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills to real-world scenarios.

2. How do these types of resources differ from regular textbooks?

Textbooks or other resources with comprehensive challenging problems differ from regular textbooks in that they focus more on problem-solving and critical thinking rather than just presenting information. They often include more complex and challenging problems that require students to think creatively and apply their knowledge in new ways.

3. Are these resources suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, these resources can be used at all levels of education, from elementary school to graduate level. However, the level of complexity and difficulty of the problems may vary depending on the target audience.

4. Can these resources be used for self-study or are they meant for classroom use?

These resources can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They are designed to be comprehensive and self-contained, providing students with all the necessary information and problems to practice on their own. However, they can also be used by teachers as a supplement to their lessons in the classroom.

5. How can these resources benefit students?

These resources can benefit students by improving their critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and overall understanding of the subject matter. By working through challenging problems, students can develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and apply them in various contexts, preparing them for real-world situations and future academic pursuits.