Textbooks about Black Hole physics

In summary, the person asking for suggestions has a background in physics and is currently studying a course related to stellar evolution and relativity. They are looking for suggestions on books about black hole physics and have been recommended "Exploring Black Holes: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Edwin Taylor and John Wheeler, "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James Hartle, and "Black Holes: An Introduction" by Derek Raine and Edwin Thomas. They are unsure which book would be the most appropriate for their interests and have also been suggested the book "Black Holes: An Introduction" by Derek Raine and Edwin Thomas.
collapsar
Any good suggestions?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you tell us your background, e.g. are you already familiar with basics of general relativity.

Yes, I have studied some physics courses related to relativity and is studying a course related to stellar evolution and relativity.

collapsar said:
Yes, I have studied some physics courses related to relativity and is studying a course related to stellar evolution and relativity.

Some suggestions, in increasing order for level,

Exploring Black Holes: An Introduction to General Relativity, by Edwin Taylor and John Wheeler,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/020138423X/?tag=pfamazon01-20;

Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity, by James Hartle,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20;

Black Holes: An Introduction, by Derek Raine and Edwin Thomas,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1860945880/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I'm not sure what you mean by "black hole physics," so I'm not sure if my suggestions are appropriate.

I also like the thin (!) book "Black Holes: An Introduction" by Derek Raine and Edwin Thomas. But this book only covers Schwarzschild and a bit of Kerr black hole. It really depends on which aspects of black holes you are interested in.

FAQ: Textbooks about Black Hole physics

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do black holes affect their surroundings?

Black holes have a strong gravitational pull that can affect the motion of nearby objects and even distort the fabric of space-time. They can also emit intense radiation and jets of particles, influencing the surrounding environment.

3. What is the current understanding of the physics behind black holes?

Black holes are currently described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity works on a large scale. However, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research in the field of black hole physics.

4. What are some key concepts in black hole physics?

Some key concepts in black hole physics include event horizons, which are the points of no return for objects entering a black hole, and singularity, which is the infinitely dense center of a black hole where the laws of physics break down.

5. How do black holes form and evolve?

Black holes are formed through the collapse of massive stars or through the merging of smaller black holes. They can also grow in size by absorbing matter from their surroundings. Over time, black holes can merge and grow into even larger black holes.