The Acceleration of a Sliding Collar on a Shaft

In summary, the problem is to determine the speed and magnitude of acceleration of collar C, given the length b and angle θ of a mechanism. The relevant equation is ΣF=ma and the goal is to express the position of C in terms of b and θ. The most convenient coordinate system should also be determined.
eomama

Homework Statement

For the mechanism shown, determine the speed and magnitude of the acceleration of collar C in terms of b, θ, θ-dot, and θ-dot-dot.

Check the attached file for the diagram.

We are given the length b and angle θ.

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I started conceptualizing this problem right now. However, I don't even know where to start. The mechanism moves in such a way that θ 'closes' to 0 (since the whole thing falls). But how would I go about describing that in terms of 'b' ? It'd be dope to get some help/hints :) I'll post my work as the discussion develops. Thank you :)

Attachments

• Inge 3032-MakeupEx-Dec2016.docx
    39.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3846.PNG
    IMG_3846.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ernesto, :welcome:

"Don't know where to start" doesn't pass the PF guidelines :rolleyes:
I'll get chastized for answering anyway instead of pressing the 'report' button :nb).

What coordinate system would be the most convenient ?
How do you express the position of C in terms of ##b## and ##\theta## ?

Related to The Acceleration of a Sliding Collar on a Shaft

1. What is the acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft?

The acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft is a measure of how quickly the collar is increasing its velocity as it slides along the shaft. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft?

The acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft is affected by several factors, including the mass of the collar, the force applied to the collar, the coefficient of friction between the collar and the shaft, and the angle of the shaft relative to the force applied.

3. How is the acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft calculated?

The acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied, and m is the mass of the collar. The coefficient of friction and angle of the shaft may also need to be considered in the calculation.

4. What is the difference between linear acceleration and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of velocity in a straight line, whereas angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity around an axis. In the context of a sliding collar on a shaft, linear acceleration would refer to the acceleration of the collar along the length of the shaft, while angular acceleration would refer to the acceleration of the collar as it rotates around the shaft.

5. How does the acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft impact its motion?

The acceleration of a sliding collar on a shaft determines how quickly the collar's velocity changes, and therefore, how quickly it moves along the shaft. A higher acceleration would result in a faster sliding motion, while a lower acceleration would result in a slower sliding motion. Additionally, the direction of the acceleration can also impact the direction of the collar's motion, as acceleration is a vector quantity.