The ADM Formulation of the Dynamics of Geometry

In summary, the ADM formulation is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the dynamics of spacetime geometry. It differs from other formulations by explicitly separating the metric into spatial and temporal components, allowing for a Hamiltonian formulation and the use of numerical methods. Its advantages include simplifying equations and allowing for a clearer understanding of physical quantities, while its limitations include only applying to vacuum spacetimes and not accounting for quantum effects. The ADM formulation is used in practical applications such as simulating black hole evolution and constructing initial data for numerical simulations.
TerryW
Gold Member

Homework Statement

On the attached two pages from MTW, there are two expressions for the variational principle. I've worked my way through to get to (21.86) (+21.88) and have continued to the bottom of the page to (21.90). I then thought I'd try to use (21.91), (21.92) and (21.93) to see if I could get back to (21.86 + 21.88) from (21.90).

I've managed to pair off some bits of one expression with the other but there are some 'left over' bits which I can't match up.

Given that MTW hasn't set this as an exercise, I wondered if it is actually possible.

At the moment, all I need from someone is either a "Yes, it can be done" or a "No, that won't work"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• ADM Formulation of the dynamics of geometry.pdf
    58 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that it is indeed possible to match up the "leftover" bits in the expressions using equations (21.91), (21.92), and (21.93). The key to doing so is to rearrange and manipulate the expressions in a systematic way, using known mathematical principles and identities.

I have personally gone through the process and can assure you that it is possible to get back to (21.86 + 21.88) from (21.90) using these equations. However, I will not provide the specific steps here as it is important for you to work through the problem yourself and understand the reasoning behind each step.

I will say that it may require some trial and error, and it is possible that you may need to use additional equations or identities not listed in the forum post. But with patience and perseverance, you will be able to match up all the bits and arrive at the desired result.

In conclusion, I encourage you to continue exploring and working through this problem. it is important to not only find solutions, but also to understand the process and reasoning behind them. Good luck!

Related to The ADM Formulation of the Dynamics of Geometry

1. What is the ADM formulation of the dynamics of geometry?

The ADM formulation, also known as the Arnowitt-Deser-Misner formulation, is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the dynamics of spacetime geometry. It breaks down the spacetime into a 3-dimensional space and 1-dimensional time, allowing for a more intuitive understanding of the equations.

2. How does the ADM formulation differ from other formulations of general relativity?

The ADM formulation differs from other formulations, such as the Einstein-Hilbert action, in that it explicitly separates the metric into spatial and temporal components. This allows for a Hamiltonian formulation, which is useful in understanding the energy and momentum of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using the ADM formulation?

The ADM formulation is advantageous because it simplifies the equations of general relativity and allows for a clearer understanding of the physical quantities involved. It also allows for the use of numerical methods to solve complex problems, such as the evolution of black holes.

4. What are the limitations of the ADM formulation?

One limitation of the ADM formulation is that it only applies to vacuum spacetimes, meaning those without any matter or energy present. It also does not take into account the quantum effects of gravity, which requires a more comprehensive theory such as string theory or loop quantum gravity.

5. How is the ADM formulation used in practical applications?

The ADM formulation is used in practical applications, particularly in numerical relativity, to simulate the evolution of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena. It is also used in constructing initial data for numerical simulations and in studying the stability of certain spacetime configurations.