The answer of a 2 sig calculation 0,098 = 0,10 ?

• Thread starter QED-Kasper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of significant figures in calculations, specifically in the context of an answer being rounded from 0.098 to 0.10. The question is raised about which answer is correct and if rounding to 0.10 is actually reducing the number of significant figures. It is ultimately concluded that both answers are correct to two significant figures, but rounding to 0.10 may provide more information about the accuracy of the answer.
QED-Kasper
the answer of a "2 sig" calculation 0,098 = 0,10 ?

I did some university entry examination questions. There were values of some properties like mass, gravity etc given, they all had 2 significant figures. After using them in my calculations for some problem, I got the following answer on my calculator: 0.098. So sticking to the rule of giving your answer to the same sig. figures as the measurement with the least sig. figures I left that as my answer. However the answer on the solution sheet was rounded to 0.10, which also has 2 sig figures.

Both answers having the same amount of sig figures, which one is correct and why? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

0.098 is 2 sig figures, 9.8E-2

You must have raced trough my post very fast, haha. I know what significant figures are without any problem. The problem is that the solution sheet gives the answer to some question as 0,10. But I left my answer as 0,098. Which is what i got on my calculator after doing the calculation (involving only multiplication and division) for the problem. I did that because this answer has two significant figures so it complies with the "sig. fig. rule".

So the problem is that both answers have two sig. figs., but one has been rounded from 0,098 (which is the answer on the calculator) to 0,10 and the other is the answer calculated without rounding. I was wondering why the book gives the answer as 0.10 if 0,098 has two significant figures already and needs no rounding.

You could argue that if you have a lot of steps with only 2sf then your answer loses 1% accuracy at each stop so quoting 2sf when the answer is so close to 0.1 is a bit optimistic.
But in that case the answer should be 0.1

Exams answers aren;t always correct - TAs are human too.

I'd be inclined to agree with you that 0.098 is correct, or at least better, since it's more informative. Both answers do follow the "rule" of keeping the fewest significant figures in a product.

To be honest, the whole significant figure system is just a time-saving approximation for error propagation. In a real experiment you'd probably quote your answer plus-or-minus some calculated uncertainty, and the uncertainty would tell you how many digits are meaningful.

Ok guys, that should do. Thank you for helping me :)

diazona said:
To be honest, the whole significant figure system is just a time-saving approximation for error propagation.

Which is a very good point: 0.10 means "between 0.095 and 0.105", i.e. you know it to +/- 5%. 0.98 means "between 0.975 and 0.985", or +/- 0.5%. This could be important.

So what is the convention in these type of situations? Do you leave it to be 0.098 (i.e. +/- 0,0005) as was the exact result on the calculator (with all values used in the calculation having two significant figures), or do you round up to 0.10 (i.e. +/- 0,005)?
Both answers are correct to two significant figures. It's a special situation because the result on the calculator is so close to the number 10.

Question is, why are you even touching a number which is already in 2 s.f. format?write the answer as 9.8e-2; then rounding to 10e-2 is actually making it one significant figure.

Last edited:

FAQ: The answer of a 2 sig calculation 0,098 = 0,10 ?

What is a "2 sig calculation"?

A "2 sig calculation" refers to a calculation where the final answer is rounded to two significant figures. Significant figures are digits that carry meaning in a number and are used to indicate the precision or accuracy of a measurement or calculation. In a 2 sig calculation, the final answer should have two significant figures.

What is the answer of a 2 sig calculation of 0,098?

The answer of a 2 sig calculation of 0,098 is 0,10. This is because 0,098 has two significant figures (9 and 8), so the final answer should also have two significant figures. Rounding 0,098 to two significant figures gives us 0,10.

Why is the answer of a 2 sig calculation of 0,098 rounded to 0,10 and not 0,099?

In a 2 sig calculation, the final answer should have two significant figures. When rounding 0,098, the third significant figure (8) is less than 5, so the second significant figure (9) remains the same and the rest of the digits are dropped. Therefore, the answer is rounded to 0,10.

How do you perform a 2 sig calculation?

To perform a 2 sig calculation, follow these steps:

• Identify the significant figures in the numbers used in the calculation. These are the non-zero digits and any zeros between them.
  • Determine the number with the least number of significant figures. This will be the number of significant figures in the final answer.
  • Perform the calculation as usual.
  • Round the final answer to the determined number of significant figures.

Can a 2 sig calculation result in an answer with more than two significant figures?

Yes, a 2 sig calculation can result in an answer with more than two significant figures. This can happen if the third significant figure is 5 or higher, in which case the second significant figure will be rounded up. For example, a 2 sig calculation of 0,0669 would result in an answer of 0,067, with three significant figures.

Back