The antineutrino in Beta decay

In summary, beta decay involves physical changes that result in the formation of a virtual W- boson particle. These changes also lead to the emission of an antineutrino. The antineutrino is necessary to conserve spin and lepton numbers in the decay process. Its existence has been confirmed through measurements. The neutrino has a spin of 1/2 and a lepton number of +1, while the antineutrino has a spin of 1/2 and a lepton number of -1.
ajassat
I understand the physical changes in beta decay that eventually lead to the virtual particle, a W- boson being formed. However I do not understand the physical changes that take place, which eventually lead to an antineutrino being emitted. What changes take place in the W- boson, that make it decay into an antineutrino and electron?

I would also be glad if someone could explain why the physical changes take place?

Thanks in advance
- Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
ajassat said:
I understand the physical changes in beta decay that eventually lead to the virtual particle, a W- boson being formed.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Also, you do understand that "a virtual particle being formed" is sort of a contradiction. The particle is virtual, not real. It's not formed.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Also, you do understand that "a virtual particle being formed" is sort of a contradiction. The particle is virtual, not real. It's not formed.

By this do you mean that the antineutrino isn't really there after beta decay?
If the production of an antineutrino is virtual, then would you be able to explain how?

Simply, I would like to understand why we have an antineutrino involved ,regardless of it being real or virtual.

Thanks for attempting the answer the question.
-Adam

There is an antineutrino around to conserve spin (and other quantum numbers, like lepton number). If I have the decay [tex]n \rightarrow p + e^- + \overline{\nu}[/tex], I have a spin-1/2 object on the left hand side and without the neutrino, I have either a spin-0 or spin-1 ensemble on the right. I also have L = 0 on the left and L = 1 on the right. Finally, the energy spectrum of the electron is characteristic of three-body decays, not two body decays. For all of these reasons, one expects an additional particle produced, the antineutrino.

Of course, today those (anti-)neutrinos have been measured.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is an antineutrino around to conserve spin (and other quantum numbers, like lepton number). If I have the decay [tex]n \rightarrow p + e^- + \overline{\nu}[/tex], I have a spin-1/2 object on the left hand side and without the neutrino, I have either a spin-0 or spin-1 ensemble on the right. I also have L = 0 on the left and L = 1 on the right. Finally, the energy spectrum of the electron is characteristic of three-body decays, not two body decays. For all of these reasons, one expects an additional particle produced, the antineutrino.

Of course, today those (anti-)neutrinos have been measured.

This has made me understand why it is necessary to produce an anti-neutrino in beta decay. So what are the spin and lepton values for the neutrino which help to create a balances on both sides of the decay?

Thank you for your time,
-Adam

The neutrino is a spin 1/2 particle and a neutrino has lepton number +1 and an antineutrino has -1.

malawi_glenn said:
The neutrino is a spin 1/2 particle and a neutrino has lepton number +1 and an antineutrino has -1.

Thanks for this. I now understand how the anti-neutrino helps to balance things out.

Related to The antineutrino in Beta decay

1. What is an antineutrino?

An antineutrino is a subatomic particle that has no electric charge and a very small mass. It is the antimatter counterpart to the neutrino, which is also a subatomic particle with no electric charge and a very small mass.

2. How is the antineutrino involved in Beta decay?

In Beta decay, a neutron in an atom's nucleus transforms into a proton. During this process, an antineutrino is emitted from the nucleus along with an electron. This is called Beta-minus decay. In Beta-plus decay, a proton in the nucleus transforms into a neutron and a positron (the antiparticle of the electron), along with an antineutrino.

3. What is the role of the antineutrino in Beta decay?

The antineutrino is an important particle in Beta decay because it carries away energy and angular momentum from the nucleus. This helps to conserve these properties, ensuring that the decay process is allowed by the laws of physics.

4. How are antineutrinos detected in Beta decay experiments?

Antineutrinos are notoriously difficult to detect because they interact very weakly with matter. However, some experiments use large detectors, such as liquid scintillator detectors, to capture the tiny amount of energy that is released when an antineutrino interacts with matter. Other experiments use neutrino detectors, which can also detect antineutrinos, to study their properties.

5. What is the significance of studying the antineutrino in Beta decay?

Understanding the role of the antineutrino in Beta decay helps scientists to better understand the fundamental properties of matter and antimatter. It also has practical applications, such as in nuclear reactors where the detection of antineutrinos can be used to monitor the rate of nuclear reactions and ensure the safe operation of the reactor.