The Arc length of a cable hanging from two poles x feet apart.

In summary, The conversation is about a student seeking help with a calculus problem involving finding the arc length of a steel cable. They discuss equations and the use of a calculator, and eventually discover a typo in the original equation that was causing an incorrect answer. The conversation ends with the student thanking the person for their help.
violin_writer

Homework Statement

I appologize if this is in the wrong topic. But, I need help with the. I know you guys don't exactly give out the answer, but I'm looking for a particular rule of something that will help me. My calculus professor told me to use any available resource to solve this problem. The question is in blue.

Find the arc length of a steel cable hanging between two 50 feet tall poles that are 1000 feet apart and the cable is 15 feet above the ground at its lowest point. Hint: use the hyperbolic cosine centenary to find a, then use the sinh equation derived in class, round to the nearest foot.

I have a specific problem. Being told to use any available resource, gave me idea to turn to my calculator. Well I keep getting a number that appears to be too high for any of the answers.

Homework Equations

I these r the equations... y= a(cosh((x/a)-1)+M. I use to find a.
And the arc length formula is 2asinh(x/a)

Where:
x= the distance a pole is from its origin =500
y= the pole height= 50
m= the height of the cable at its origin = 15
a= 95.269...

And ofcourse

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=30454&stc=1&d=1291697037.png

The following answer is wrong because it is way too large. Could someone show me what I did wrong?

Attachments

• My calculus #7.png
    My calculus #7.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for a is wrong. When I plug it into your equation for y, I don't get an answer anywhere near close to 50.

Ok so I looked it over... could it y is wrong. That that is an invalid equation? Is what I started with not the "hyperbolic centernary equation"?

Thanks 4 helping... but I need more help

Regardless of whether the equation for y is right or wrong, if you solve for a when y=50, you should find y=50 when you plug your value for a back into the equation. The fact that doesn't happen doesn't mean the equation is wrong; it means you solved for a incorrectly. How exactly did you solve for a?

By the way, your original equation for y and the one you show in your attempt don't match. It might just be a typo. I tried plugging your value for a into both versions, and it doesn't work for either.

I used solver on my calculator (ti-84)... it's the only way we've gone over. For some reason it either gets overflowed, or iteration errors. The only way that seems to work is by giving a 95 for a.

Basically I did what was shown... I set the equation equal to zero & used the "solver" command on my calc... then the last equation to get arc length. I did it pretty much how he did it. What makes me think typo, is the huge difference n the numbers (like the thousand's really 100 or something). And the fact that I graphed the equation and it never touches 50.
I was hoping someone on here would catch something I wasn't doing or come up with an extra step I need to actually get the arc length.

And which one isn't matching? the Sinh one with an extra parenthesis, that is a typo... thanks.

Oh, I read your original equation to be

[tex]y = a (\cosh\left(\frac{x}{a}\right) - 1) + M[/tex]

because you wrote it with an extra parenthesis. That's actually the correct equation. The way you're using it

[tex]y = a \cosh\left(\frac{x}{a}-1\right) + M[/itex]

isn't correct. You can see this by plugging x=0 in. It should reduce to y=M.

thanks dude that was it... right there. It's funny how something small like that can effect something.

Related to The Arc length of a cable hanging from two poles x feet apart.

1. What is the formula for calculating the arc length of a cable hanging between two poles?

The formula for calculating the arc length of a cable hanging between two poles is L = 2r * sin(A/2), where L is the arc length, r is the distance between the poles, and A is the central angle of the arc.

2. How do you determine the central angle of the arc?

The central angle of the arc can be determined by dividing the distance between the two poles by the radius of the cable. This will give you the sine of the central angle, which can then be converted to degrees using a scientific calculator or trigonometric table.

3. Does the weight of the cable affect the arc length?

Yes, the weight of the cable can affect the arc length. The heavier the cable, the more it will sag between the two poles, resulting in a longer arc length.

4. Can the arc length be longer than the distance between the two poles?

No, the arc length cannot be longer than the distance between the two poles. This is because the arc length is determined by the distance between the poles and the central angle, which cannot be greater than 180 degrees.

5. How does the tension in the cable affect the arc length?

The tension in the cable does not directly affect the arc length. However, a higher tension can result in a smaller sag in the cable, making the arc length closer to the distance between the two poles.