The (asserted) equivalence of first partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about the proof of the existence of an integrating factor in a differential-equation problem. The speaker is questioning the validity of the statement that ux = uy = ut when u(xy) is substituted with t = xy. They provide a counterexample and ask for clarification.
Larry Cosner
In the solution to a differential-equation problem -- proof of the existence of an integrating factor -- the following statements are made regarding a general function "u(xy)" [that is, a function of two variable that depends exclusively on the single factor "x*y"]:

------------------------------------

"Let xy = t

Therefore ux = uy = ut"

-------------------------------------

I'm having a hard time seeing this as innately true. The first two functions are the partial derivatives of the function u, with respect to the two variables. If one takes a simple function like u(xy) = 3xy, then the first partial derivatives are:

ux = 3y and uy = 3x; and similarly, if one addresses the substituted variable, ut = 3.

And these are not equal.

Now I certainly see, given t = xy, that dt/dx = y and dt/dy = x. This leads to dx/dt = 1/y and dy/dt = 1/x.

Using this, one can show ut = (du/dx)(dx/dt) = (3y)(1/y) = 3. Similarly for the equivalency of ut = (du/dy)(dy/dt).

But I'm not seeing how this translates into ux = uy = ut?

And it is this exact equivalence that is used further down in the proof (which is why I care).

Thanks in advance for helping me see what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems weird. Assuming ## u_x ## means ## \frac{\partial}{\partial x}u(x,y) ## etc. then as you find, ## u_x=y u_t ## and ## u_y=x u_t ##.

Perhaps you could post the entire problem or differential equation? From what you've given so far they're not equal, but perhaps we're missing some other condition or assumption

Related to The (asserted) equivalence of first partial derivatives

1. What is the meaning of "equivalence of first partial derivatives"?

The equivalence of first partial derivatives refers to the mathematical concept that two functions have the same first partial derivatives at a given point. This means that the rate of change of both functions with respect to each variable is the same at that point.

2. Why is the equivalence of first partial derivatives important?

The equivalence of first partial derivatives is important in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of calculus and differential equations. It allows for the analysis and comparison of different functions and can help in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function.

3. How is the equivalence of first partial derivatives proven?

The equivalence of first partial derivatives can be proven using various methods such as the limit definition of a derivative, the chain rule, and the implicit function theorem. It ultimately depends on the specific functions and variables involved.

4. What are some real-life applications of the equivalence of first partial derivatives?

The equivalence of first partial derivatives has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the flow of fluids, optimize production processes, and model economic systems.

5. Can the equivalence of first partial derivatives be extended to higher order derivatives?

Yes, the concept of equivalence of first partial derivatives can be extended to higher order derivatives. This means that not only the first, but also the second, third, and higher order partial derivatives of two functions are equal at a given point.