The battery voltage drops when fed to the DC booster circuit

leVanw
I use a 12V battery to power a DC booster circuit. After just a moment, my battery's voltage decreased, causing the booster circuit to also decrease its voltage. Is there any way to make the battery last longer without losing voltage? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the energy rating of your battery (in Amp-hours)? What current do you measure out of the battery when it is driving the boost circuit? What is the load of the boost circuit (output voltage and current)?

berkeman said:
What is the energy rating of your battery (in Amp-hours)? What current do you measure out of the battery when it is driving the boost circuit? What is the load of the boost circuit (output voltage and current)?
The output voltage of the booster circuit is about 40V, and I don't know what the energy rating of the battery is (I use a GP 23A 12V battery).

leVanw said:
GP 23A 12V battery
Link to the datasheet please.

leVanw said:
The output voltage of the booster circuit is about 40V
Link to the datasheet please. What is the load? What is the output current?

(pulling teeth here...)

Likes davenn

Related to The battery voltage drops when fed to the DC booster circuit

Why does the battery voltage drop when connected to a DC booster circuit?

The battery voltage drops when connected to a DC booster circuit primarily due to the internal resistance of the battery. When a load is applied, the internal resistance causes a voltage drop, which becomes more noticeable as the current draw increases.

How can I minimize the voltage drop in my battery when using a DC booster circuit?

To minimize the voltage drop, you can use a battery with a lower internal resistance, ensure good connections with low resistance, and use thicker wires to reduce resistive losses. Additionally, using capacitors to smooth out voltage fluctuations can help.

Is the voltage drop harmful to my battery or DC booster circuit?

A moderate voltage drop is generally not harmful, but a significant drop could indicate that the battery is under excessive load, which can lead to overheating, reduced efficiency, and potential damage over time. It is important to ensure the battery and booster are operating within their specified limits.

Can a weak or old battery cause more voltage drop when used with a DC booster circuit?

Yes, a weak or old battery typically has higher internal resistance, which can cause a more pronounced voltage drop under load. This can lead to reduced performance and efficiency of the DC booster circuit.

What role does the load connected to the DC booster circuit play in the voltage drop?

The load connected to the DC booster circuit determines the current draw from the battery. Higher loads require more current, which increases the voltage drop due to the battery's internal resistance. Managing the load can help control the voltage drop.