The boundary condition for ##\delta## function

In summary, the Schrodinger equation for N particles in one dimension with a δ-function potential can be solved using a boundary condition equivalent to the potential. This condition involves a finite discontinuity in the derivative of the wave function for each particle. The integral to solve involves evaluating the first derivative of the wave function at the boundary of the particle in question.
Pring
Beginning with the Schrodinger equation for N particles in one dimension interacting via a δ-function potential

##(-\sum_{1}^{N}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_i^2}+2c\sum_{<i,j>}\delta(x_i-x_j))\psi=E\psi##

The boundary condition equivalent to the ##\delta## function potential is

##\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}-\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}\right)\psi |_{x_j=x_{k+}}-\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}-\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}\right)\psi |_{x_j=x_{k-}}=2c\psi |_{x_j=x_k}.##

Integrate ##\int_{x_k-\varepsilon}^{x_k+\varepsilon}##, here, ##x_k## is a integrate limit. Why ##x_k## is considered as a derivative ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}##? It says that we can integrate the ordinate of j's particle with the boundary of k's particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see clearly where the two terms you have written appear from. The integral you have to solve is:

[tex] \int_{-\varepsilon}^{\varepsilon}\partial^{2}_{x_{i}}\psi(x_{i})=\partial_{x_{i}}^{+\varepsilon}\psi(x_{i})-\partial_{x_{i}}^{-\varepsilon}\psi(x_{i})[/tex]
so I don't clearly see where the substraction of the other coordinate in the derivative comes from. What do you mean by saying that [tex] x_{k}[/tex] is considered asa derivative?

I missed to add a [tex]x_{k}[/tex] summing the [tex]\varepsilon[/tex], but what this condition is saying is that there is a finite discontinuity in the derivative for the ith particle (and for every of them).

gonadas91 said:
I don't see clearly where the two terms you have written appear from. The integral you have to solve is:

[tex] \int_{-\varepsilon}^{\varepsilon}\partial^{2}_{x_{i}}\psi(x_{i})=\partial_{x_{i}}^{+\varepsilon}\psi(x_{i})-\partial_{x_{i}}^{-\varepsilon}\psi(x_{i})[/tex]
so I don't clearly see where the substraction of the other coordinate in the derivative comes from. What do you mean by saying that [tex] x_{k}[/tex] is considered asa derivative?
We integrate the Schrodinger equation as ##\int_{x_k-\varepsilon}^{x_k+\varepsilon}dx_j##, here ##x_j## is a integrable variable, ##x_k## is a integrable number. The boundary contains one term ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}##, it means that ##x_k## also is a integrable variable or else? How to deduce to this term?

Ok, since your function [tex]\psi[/tex] depends on all variables (or coordinates), you boundary condition is evaluating the function at [tex]x_{k}[/tex] (since epsilong tends to zero, but you have to take the limits carefully, in fact this condition is talking about a discontinuity in the derivative, so the answer is different if you approach xk by the left or the right.) The boundary doesn't contain the derivative respect to xk, since you are integrating the second derivative respect to xi, so the answer (the integral) is the first derivative respect to xi evaluated at xk in two different limits. I hop this can help a bit.

gonadas91 said:
Ok, since your function [tex]\psi[/tex] depends on all variables (or coordinates), you boundary condition is evaluating the function at [tex]x_{k}[/tex] (since epsilong tends to zero, but you have to take the limits carefully, in fact this condition is talking about a discontinuity in the derivative, so the answer is different if you approach xk by the left or the right.) The boundary doesn't contain the derivative respect to xk, since you are integrating the second derivative respect to xi, so the answer (the integral) is the first derivative respect to xi evaluated at xk in two different limits. I hop this can help a bit.
I think ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## is inexistent, no reason for a integrable numerical value to be a variable.

Related to The boundary condition for ##\delta## function

What is the boundary condition for the delta function?

The boundary condition for the delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is that it must equal zero everywhere except at the point where the argument of the function is equal to zero.

Why is the boundary condition for the delta function important?

The boundary condition for the delta function is important because it ensures that the function has a well-defined integral and can be used in various mathematical and physical applications.

What happens if the boundary condition for the delta function is not met?

If the boundary condition for the delta function is not met, the function will not be a proper representation of the physical system and its use may lead to incorrect results.

How is the boundary condition for the delta function related to its integral?

The boundary condition for the delta function is directly related to its integral, as it guarantees that the integral of the function over its entire domain will equal 1.

Can the boundary condition for the delta function be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the boundary condition for the delta function can be generalized to higher dimensions by using the Dirac delta function in multiple dimensions, where it is defined as the product of delta functions along each dimension.