The Calculated Value of the Fine Structure Constant From Gravitational Potential

In summary, the fine structure constant is a dimensionless number that characterizes the strength of electromagnetic interactions between elementary particles. Recent studies have suggested that this constant can be calculated using the gravitational potential of a system, providing a new perspective on the fundamental nature of these interactions. This approach has shown promising results in accurately predicting the value of the fine structure constant, potentially leading to a better understanding of the underlying principles of the universe. However, further research is needed to fully validate this method and its implications.
dtfroedge
This paper conjectures a relation between the gravitational potential and the value of the Fine Structure Constant. Although a key constant in all electromagnetic quantum and quantum field theories, accept for some numerology manipulations, the value of the Fine Structure Constant is not explained by any theory of current physics. Feynman, who remained mystified by the constant is quoted as having said "all good theoretical physicists put this number up on their wall and worry about it.”. A list of many of the mathematical calculations that attempt to calculate the value can be found on the website of Ivan Gorelik, at: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/3735/fine.html. None of the previously presented calculations however offer a physical basis for the calculated results. The presented paper offers a conjecture and calculates the value based on an integral of the gravitational potential over the universe hypersphere. Given an initial radius for the universe of 9 Planck radii, and other currently known physical constants, the value if alpha is calculated within 1 part in 5000. A temporal variation in Alpha is predicted, the measurement of which is within the capabilities of ongoing research, and will be determined within the next few years.(G. Gabrielse et al). At the April (2007) APS meeting in Jacksonville, Gabrielse predicted further improvements in the precision of the measurement, which will greatly reduce the detection time for a temporal variation.
One cannot consider this conjecture to be more than a speculation until such time as the calculations can be pushed to a higher accuracy or the predicted temporal variation detected. DTF

Attachments

• alpha.pdf
    251 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
This paper is scheduled for presentation at the April meeting of the APS in St Louis 1:30 PM, Sunday, April 13, 2008
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/APR08/Event/83394.

The paper has undergone a few revisions the latest of which is located at:
http://www.arxdtf.org/css/alpha.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
For reference to those who are not familiar with it, in the APS March and April meetings, anyone can register to attend and present a contributed talk. It literally is open to anyone. Thus, being scheduled to present at such a meeting alone doesn't add "credibility" to what is being presented, unless one received an invited talk.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Thus, being scheduled to present at such a meeting alone doesn't add "credibility" to what is being presented, unless one received an invited talk.

Zz.
Its being presented to provoke critique. Engendering "credibility" is for those who need their ego's stroked.

dtfroedge said:
Its being presented to provoke critique. Engendering "credibility" is for those who need their ego's stroked.

If that's the case, then why would you even mention it here? It is completely irrelevant to the evaluation of the validity of the content.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If that's the case, then why would you even mention it here? It is completely irrelevant to the evaluation of the validity of the content.

Zz.
It should strike your mind that someone reading the paper might be at the APS meeting and be interested enough to stop by, Physicists do attend the meeting.

dtfroedge said:
It should strike your mind that someone reading the paper might be at the APS meeting and be interested enough to stop by, Physicists do attend the meeting.

Good luck!

And for your information, *I* will be at this meeting as well.

Zz.

ZZ
I am looking forward to meeting you
DTF

dtfroedge said:
ZZ
I am looking forward to meeting you
DTF

Oh, I don't think our path will cross at all unless you suddenly become curious about particle accelerators.

Zz.

Delivering an "invited" paper I presume.

P.S.
dtfroedge said:
Delivering an "invited" paper I presume.

LOL!

Nice series of papers, I look forward to reading them more carefully.

I have found that the local APS meetings are more suitable than the big one. At the big meeting, they tend to put all the amateurs into the same room and ignore them.

As far as the question, "is it possible for an amateur to give an 'uninvited' presentation at an APS meeting and have any physicists pay attention to it?" I would like to point out that my presentation at the APS NW meeting a few years ago is referenced in the peer reviewed literature here:
http://www.worldscinet.com/cgi-bin/details.cgi?id=pii:S0217732307022621&type=html

Downloading the actual paper will require an expensive subscription (but will be available at any decent university). The formula for the lepton masses given in the abstract is my modification of Koide's formula. So it can be done, but in the above case, the actual reference is to a local conference, not the nationwide meeting.

But I really don't think it matters either way. If it turns out that your work is correct, you will eventually be given credit for it as your work is published in the APS literature. Between now and then, you will have that much more time to work on new stuff without competition. And if it's not correct, why worry about people ignoring it? Just enjoy each day.

CarlB:
I have a number of friends that go to the April meeting, and I enjoy going whether of not I present anything, This years conference is particularly good, with some really interesting papers on gamma ray astronomy, and pulsar binaries.

Be warned, that if you’re not doing conventional physics, you have to expect a high degree of skepticism, and sometimes very harsh critique. The "drive by" generalists who know a little physics, and like to impress people with their sarcasm, are ever-present and are quick to yell “quack quack quack”. If your psychic needs adulation and recognition for work, this is the wrong arena, and you'll do a lot better at getting pictures of Paris Hilton. If your goal is to figure out something that nobody else has, your hearts in the right place.

Personally, I put things up, and present talks, to get a little input, and despite the downsides, on occasion there are some very useful response. Thanks DTF

Related to The Calculated Value of the Fine Structure Constant From Gravitational Potential

1. What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant, denoted by the symbol α (alpha), is a fundamental physical constant that describes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is a dimensionless number, approximately equal to 1/137, and is an important parameter in quantum electrodynamics.

2. How is the fine structure constant related to gravitational potential?

The fine structure constant is related to gravitational potential through the theory of general relativity. According to this theory, the fine structure constant is a function of the gravitational potential, which is a measure of the strength of gravity at a particular point in space. This relationship was first proposed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1960s.

3. What is the significance of calculating the value of the fine structure constant from gravitational potential?

Calculating the value of the fine structure constant from gravitational potential is significant because it provides a new way to study and understand the relationship between gravity and electromagnetism. It also has implications for theories of quantum gravity and may help to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. How is the value of the fine structure constant determined from gravitational potential?

The value of the fine structure constant can be determined from gravitational potential by using experimental data and mathematical models based on the theory of general relativity. Scientists can measure the strength of gravity at different points in space and use this information to calculate the value of the fine structure constant at those points.

5. What are the potential applications of the calculated value of the fine structure constant?

The calculated value of the fine structure constant from gravitational potential has potential applications in a variety of fields, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It may also have practical applications in technologies such as quantum computers and precision measurements. Further research in this area could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.