The Change in Elastic Potential Energy with Different Spring Stretches

In summary, the spring constant of 3200 N/m is initially stretched until the elastic potential energy is 1.44 J. The change in elastic potential energy is -0.8 J for a stretch of 2.0 cm, -2.08 J for a compression of 2.0 cm, and -4 J for a compression of 4.0 cm. The discrepancies in the last two answers may be due to incorrect math calculations, as the potential energy for a compressed spring should be negative.
lion_

Homework Statement

A spring constant of ##3200 N/m## is initially streched until the elastic potential energy is ##1.44## J (##U=0## for no stretch). What is the change in elastic potential energy if the initial stretch is changed to (a) a stretch of ##2.0## cm, (b) a compression of ##2.0## cm, (c) a compression of ##4.0## cm.

Homework Equations

##\Delta U=U_f-U_i##
##U=\frac{1}{2}kx^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.02)^2-1.44=-0.8 J##

(b) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=-\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.02)^2-1.44=-2.08 J##

(c) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=-\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.04)^2-1.44=-4J##

The first answer (a) is correct but the last 2 they get (b) ##-0.8J## and (c) ##1.1J## respectively. How?

Physics news on Phys.org
lion_ said:

Homework Statement

A spring constant of ##3200 N/m## is initially streched until the elastic potential energy is ##1.44## J (##U=0## for no stretch). What is the change in elastic potential energy if the initial stretch is changed to (a) a stretch of ##2.0## cm, (b) a compression of ##2.0## cm, (c) a compression of ##4.0## cm.

Homework Equations

##\Delta U=U_f-U_i##
##U=\frac{1}{2}kx^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.02)^2-1.44=-0.8 J##

(b) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=-\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.02)^2-1.44=-2.08 J##

(c) ##\Delta U=U_f-U_i=-\frac{1}{2}(3200)(0.04)^2-1.44=-4J##

The first answer (a) is correct but the last 2 they get (b) ##-0.8J## and (c) ##1.1J## respectively. How?
You should check your math...

PhanthomJay said:
You should check your math...
If the spring is compressed, isn't potential energy for the spring negative?

square a negative and you get a ?

Related to The Change in Elastic Potential Energy with Different Spring Stretches

What is potential energy with springs?

Potential energy with springs is a type of potential energy that is stored in a stretched or compressed spring. This energy is based on the position of the spring and its ability to return to its original position.

How is potential energy with springs calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy with springs is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by its spring constant, the displacement from its equilibrium position, and the mass attached to the spring.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a spring system?

In a spring system, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. At the equilibrium position, all potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. As the spring is stretched or compressed, kinetic energy is converted back to potential energy.

How is potential energy with springs used in real life?

Potential energy with springs is used in many real-life applications, such as in trampolines, pogo sticks, and shock absorbers in vehicles. It is also used in renewable energy sources, such as hydropower and wind turbines, to convert potential energy into kinetic energy and generate electricity.