The classical theory of fields by Landau

In summary, the classical theory of fields, as described by Landau, is a fundamental framework for understanding the behavior of physical fields, such as electromagnetic and gravitational fields. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and incorporates the concept of action, which allows for the prediction of the behavior of fields in space and time. This theory has been instrumental in shaping our understanding of the physical world and continues to be a key component in many areas of physics.
_ed_
"the classical theory of fields" by Landau

I hope this is in the right forum, if not sorry- please move it.

I'm reading "the classical theory of fields" by Landau and Lifgarbagez at the moment (if you've not heard of it it covers special relativity/ relativistic em/ general relativity). Though it introduces all the maths used, I'm finding the explanations a bit too brief and a bit hard to follow when it's applied later in the book. So I was wondering if there are any suitable books that just go through the maths I could read in combination with Landau?

The material I'm struggling with is mostly tensor calculus, as an example of level please see pages 20-23 on the google preview: http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA21,M1

Any suggestions welcome,
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

to really get into that stuff you need some tensor analysis and riemannian geometry, but that can be a bit overkill. If you are interestest in math though, then this is two great topics to study, but it is not easy.

The reason these two things is a bit overkill, is that it seems that in the book you are reading, they use tensors as physicist do it (some mathematicians call it the old way), that is working with tensors in a coordinate system.

Maybe it would be good to read Tensor analysis on manifolds by Bishop and Goldberg, many people in this forum say they like it, and it is very cheap, it will learn you manifold theory and some tensor math. Then you could look in General relativity by wald, he is using a kind of an in between what bishop does and what physicist often do. You could also look in gravitation by Misner, i recall he have some chapters on how tensors work.

A lot of physicist never learn how mathematicians work with tensors and they may not even need to know, they just learn how to do calculations, and therefor thy learn how to work with them in coordinates. I think that without the math behind tensors will seem very confusing until you used it hundreds of time.

But if you don't like math, you should try to look in misner, and maybe in t'hooft free short lecture note

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/lectures/genrel.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

One book you want to have is Nakahara's "differential geometry, topology and physics". For me it's the perfect balance between mathematical rigor and physical relevance.

wauw never seen that book, just looked in the contents pages, it looks so interesting. Especially because i have had many of the courses in math, but even though I am a physicist I never seen the complete connection.

This is a case where the Schaum's Outline on Tensors would be helpful.

Related to The classical theory of fields by Landau

1. What is the classical theory of fields by Landau?

The classical theory of fields by Landau is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of classical fields, such as electromagnetic and gravitational fields, in a consistent and mathematically rigorous manner. It was developed by the renowned physicist Lev Landau and is widely used in the study of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

2. What are the main concepts of the classical theory of fields by Landau?

The main concepts of the classical theory of fields by Landau include the principle of least action, which states that physical systems tend to follow the path that minimizes the action integral, and the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are used to derive the equations of motion for a given system.

3. How does the classical theory of fields differ from quantum field theory?

The classical theory of fields is a classical, deterministic theory that describes the behavior of fields in terms of continuous functions, while quantum field theory is a quantum mechanical theory that describes the behavior of fields in terms of discrete particles and probabilities. Additionally, quantum field theory incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and superposition, while the classical theory of fields does not.

4. What are some applications of the classical theory of fields by Landau?

The classical theory of fields by Landau has numerous applications in various fields of physics, such as in the study of electrodynamics, fluid mechanics, and general relativity. It is also used in practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and the development of advanced materials.

5. Are there any limitations to the classical theory of fields by Landau?

Like any scientific theory, the classical theory of fields by Landau has its limitations. It is unable to fully explain phenomena at the quantum level and does not account for the effects of gravity at a microscopic scale. It also does not incorporate the principles of special relativity, which are necessary for describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. These limitations have led to the development of more comprehensive theories, such as quantum field theory and general relativity.