The coefficient of Friction changing under air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coefficient of friction and how it is affected by the presence of air resistance. The question asks for the coefficient of friction when a block accelerates down a rough slope with and without air resistance. The correct answer is that the coefficient of friction would be smaller in the presence of air resistance due to the added retarding force. However, the question may be confusing because it assumes different surfaces rather than the same surface with and without air resistance.
thomaspreece

Homework Statement

The question asks me to work out the coefficient of friction for a block accelerating down a rough slope assuming their is no air resistance, which I could do easily. In the next part it then asks how the coefficient would change if their was air resistance

Homework Equations

F=μR
Where F=friction
μ=coefficient of friction
R=resultant force of plane on block

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I concluded that because the surfaces are still the same the coefficient would still be the same, but the air resistance would push block down more incresing R and so slowing block down because their is more friction.
However the mark scheme said that their is less friction so coefficient must be less, which I really don't understand so I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of friction is the ratio of the frictional force to the normal reaction.

Now, if there is an additional velocity dependent retarding force (air resistance), the total force impeding the motion is the sum of the frictional force and this retarding force.

Perhaps, the idea here is to define some kind of "effective" frictional force by computing the ratio of this total impeding force to the normal reaction. I don't know why one would want to do this, but that may as well be the answer to your question.

I would reason however that the coefficient of friction is a function of the two surfaces and not any additional retarding forces (since after all, air resistance is not a relative surface interaction).

After reading your comment and re-reading the question, I see where I went wrong.
In the previous bit of the question you have to work out the coefficient from acceleration and the force acting down the slope using F=ma
Force down slope-Friction=mass x acceleration
But if you have air resistance as well
Force down slope-Friction-air Resistance=mass x acceleration. Therefore friction is smaller and so the coefficient you calculate is smaller. It wants you to assume they are different cases and not the same surface like I did
Thanks for your help

Good thing you figured it out. To me, it still seems like a vague/weird question :-p

FAQ: The coefficient of Friction changing under air resistance

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance encountered when two surfaces come into contact with each other.

2. How does air resistance affect the coefficient of friction?

Air resistance can reduce the coefficient of friction by creating a layer of air between the two surfaces, reducing the amount of direct contact and therefore reducing the resistance.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the coefficient of friction under air resistance?

Yes, the formula is μ = F / N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the object, and N is the normal force exerted by the object on the surface.

4. Can the coefficient of friction change under different air densities?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change under different air densities. Higher air densities can increase air resistance, resulting in a lower coefficient of friction, while lower air densities can decrease air resistance, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the coefficient of friction under air resistance?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the coefficient of friction under air resistance. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as airplanes, experience less air resistance and therefore have lower coefficients of friction compared to objects with irregular shapes.

Back