The components of vector are given as follows

In summary, the given vector components are Ax= +3.9 and Ay= -4, and the angle measured counterclockwise from the x-axis to the vector is closest to 314 degrees. The correct quadrant for the angle is the fourth quadrant, which is why adding 360 degrees instead of 180 degrees gives the correct answer of 314 degrees.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

The components of vector are given as follows
Ax= +3.9
Ay= -4

The angle measured counterclockwise from the x-axis to vector , in degrees, is closest to:

A,136

B.134

C.224

D.314

E.46

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I saw this problem I though all we had to do was get the inverse tan of -3.9/4

Which gave me -44.27. I added 180 to place it in the proper quadrent to get 135.7 which is choice A however the answer is 314 which makes no sense

Physics news on Phys.org
What quadrant do you think it should be in?

fourth which is why you would add 360 and not 180.. Thank you!

Related to The components of vector are given as follows

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the parts that make up the vector's magnitude and direction. These are typically the x-component and y-component, which can be represented by the horizontal and vertical parts of the arrow, respectively.

How are vector components represented?

Vector components are often represented using ordered pairs or coordinates. For example, the vector with components (3, 4) would have a magnitude of 5 units and a direction of 53.13 degrees from the positive x-axis.

What is the relationship between vector components and vector addition?

Vector addition involves adding the components of two vectors together to find the resulting vector. For example, if two vectors have components (3, 4) and (2, 1), their sum would have components (5, 5).

Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates the direction of the vector, with a negative component representing a direction opposite to the positive direction. For example, a vector with components (-3, 4) would have a magnitude of 5 units and a direction of 143.13 degrees from the positive x-axis.