The Degree of the Zero Polynomial: Why is it Defined as -∞?

In summary, mathematicians define the number '0' as a polynomial with an infinite degree because it acts as the additive identity for the additive group of polynomials. This can be understood intuitively by considering how '0' can be written as an infinite degree polynomial with all coefficients equal to zero. This definition is also supported by the handy formula for polynomials, where the degree of the zero polynomial can be seen as -∞. However, this choice is arbitrary and can be defined differently in different contexts. The extended real numbers also play a role in this definition, as they provide a useful framework for understanding the properties of polynomials.
marellasunny
I understand that mathematicians have had to define the number '0' also as a polynomial because it acts as the additive identity for the additive group of poly's.What I do not understand is why they define the degree of the zero polynomial as [ tex ]-\infty[ /tex ].

An explanation on planetMath wasn't that helpful,at the end they point-out to refer to the extended real numbers(don't they mean 'projectively extended real numbers??)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess it's similar to how one sometimes regards zero as both a real and an imaginary number because you can write 0 = 0 + i0. Similarly, you can write

0 = 0 + 0x + 0x2 + 0x3 + ...

i.e., you can write '0' as an infinite degree polynomial with all coefficients zero.

(There may be a more rigorous reason, but that's an intuitive one).

Thanks!Could you explain what extended real numbers have got to do with this?
But,polynomials always have non-negative degrees.
deg[P(x)]=+n
Why would mathematicians define a polynomial with a negative degree?

Huh, I'm looking at a precalculus textbook (Larson, 8th Ed.), and it states that the zero polynomial has no degree. Is that wrong? (Note that no degree ≠ zero degree -- a polynomial that consists of a single non-zero number has a degree of zero.)

The choice is pretty arbitrary. Sometimes it defined as having no degree, sometimes it's -1, sometimes it's [itex]-\infty[/itex].

A handy formula for polynomials is

[tex]deg(P)+deg(Q)=deg(PQ)[/tex]

If we want this formula to hold for the zero polynomial, then we see (by taking Q=0) that

[tex]deg(P)+deg(0)=deg(0)[/tex]

must hold for all P. This is only satisfied with [itex]deg(0)=-\infty[/itex]. This is the reason why they defined it this way. But again, it's pretty arbitrary.

micromass said:
This is only satisfied with [itex]deg(0)=-\infty[/itex]. This is the reason why they defined it this way. But again, it's pretty arbitrary.
I see now. Thank you.

micromass said:
The choice is pretty arbitrary. Sometimes it defined as having no degree, sometimes it's -1, sometimes it's [itex]-\infty[/itex].

A handy formula for polynomials is

[tex]deg(P)+deg(Q)=deg(PQ)[/tex]

If we want this formula to hold for the zero polynomial, then we see (by taking Q=0) that

[tex]deg(P)+deg(0)=deg(0)[/tex]

must hold for all P. This is only satisfied with [itex]deg(0)=-\infty[/itex]. This is the reason why they defined it this way. But again, it's pretty arbitrary.

Awesome!Thanks a ton.

FAQ: The Degree of the Zero Polynomial: Why is it Defined as -∞?

What is a "Degree of the Zero polynomial"?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the polynomial. The "Degree of the Zero polynomial" refers to a polynomial that has all its terms equal to zero. In this case, the degree of the polynomial is undefined.

Can the "Degree of the Zero polynomial" be negative?

No, the degree of the zero polynomial is always undefined and cannot be negative. This is because all the terms in the polynomial are equal to zero, so there is no highest exponent of the variable.

What is the purpose of the "Degree of the Zero polynomial"?

The degree of the zero polynomial is important in polynomial operations, such as addition and multiplication. It helps to determine the degree of the resulting polynomial and can also be used to identify the number of roots of the polynomial.

Does the "Degree of the Zero polynomial" affect the graph of the polynomial?

No, the graph of the zero polynomial is a horizontal line at y=0, regardless of the degree of the polynomial. The degree of the polynomial only affects the end behavior of the graph, not its shape.

Can the "Degree of the Zero polynomial" ever be defined?

No, the degree of the zero polynomial is always undefined. This is because the zero polynomial has all its terms equal to zero, so there is no highest exponent of the variable. Therefore, the degree of the zero polynomial can never be defined.

Back