The derivative using logarithmic differentiation. Is this correct?

In summary, logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of functions that are difficult to differentiate using traditional methods. It involves taking the natural logarithm of the function and using logarithm rules to simplify the expression. This method is most effective for functions that contain products, quotients, or powers. It allows for the use of logarithm rules to make the differentiation process easier. However, it may not always give the most simplified expression for the derivative and requires a good understanding of logarithm rules and traditional differentiation techniques.
dylanhouse
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Find the derivative of the given function.

Homework Equations

Chain rule and logarithmic differentiation.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached .gif. I was just wondering if this seemed correct? Thanks!

Attachments

• Calculus Problem.gif
    Calculus Problem.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a small mistake going from the 5th to the 6th line. ln(e) = ?

ln(e) = 1. I replaced it in the 7th line.

dylanhouse said:
ln(e) = 1. I replaced it in the 7th line.

I mean, xln(e) = x(1) = x right?

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} (x) = 1[/itex]

It looks fine to me as it is.

FAQ: The derivative using logarithmic differentiation. Is this correct?

1. What is logarithmic differentiation and when is it used?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is difficult or impossible to differentiate using traditional methods. It is used when the function contains a product, quotient, or power that is not easily simplified.

2. How does logarithmic differentiation work?

Logarithmic differentiation involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the function and using logarithm rules to simplify the expression. The derivative can then be found using standard differentiation rules. The final step is to take the inverse of the natural logarithm to get the derivative of the original function.

3. Can logarithmic differentiation be used for all types of functions?

No, logarithmic differentiation is most effective for functions that contain products, quotients, or powers. It may not be necessary or useful for simpler functions that can be easily differentiated using traditional methods.

4. What are the advantages of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation can be used to find the derivative of functions that are otherwise difficult or impossible to differentiate. It also allows for the use of logarithm rules to simplify the expression and make the differentiation process easier.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using logarithmic differentiation?

One limitation of logarithmic differentiation is that it may not always give the most simplified expression for the derivative. It also requires a good understanding of logarithm rules and traditional differentiation techniques in order to be used effectively.

Back