The Difference in Refraction Angles of Different Colored Light

In summary, when white light is passed through a prism, the different frequencies of light refract at different angles. This is due to the interaction of the light with the medium, and is a result of the light's relativistic momentum.
HeavyMetal
As I understand it, when you beam white light through a glass prism, light disperses and refracts. Red light refracts the least and violet light refracts the most. I am dying to know: why do different frequencies of light have different angles of refraction? Specifically, why is it that an increase in frequency corresponds to an increase in the refractive index?

I was guessing that this is a result of interaction with the medium. As red light has the least relativistic momentum, it would lose the most energy. This would translate into a smaller angle of refraction. Violet light, being much higher in energy, would be affected the least, and therefore would exhibit a greater angle of refraction.

Thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
I couldn't find anything when I searched for the answer. I appreciate the link.

However, I'd argue that guessing is a good exercise to work your creative problem solving skills. Even if you're wrong, you found your own answer and worked at it on your own. Is there something wrong with that?

HeavyMetal said:
I couldn't find anything when I searched for the answer. I appreciate the link.

However, I'd argue that guessing is a good exercise to work your creative problem solving skills. Even if you're wrong, you found your own answer and worked at it on your own. Is there something wrong with that?

But the guess is no good to you if it gives you the wrong answer :wink:

Science is worked out by putting foreward a mathematical theory and then testing that theory with repeated experiments and logging the results. If the theory doesn't quite match the observed results, then the theory may need adjusting

Dave

I agree! It's no good if you're wrong! But I'm happy to have made the effort. Sometimes you need to take risks to gain a conceptual understanding of things. I have friends who just look things up without attempting a solution and their conceptual understanding is crap.

It seems as though I was at least half right with my attempt at a solution though. What I was describing was angular dispersion, and it does in fact have to deal with the interaction of the light with the medium. I had guessed absorbance (and concomitant reemission) played a role too. Still wondering if relativistic momentum plays a role.

"Because of the Kramers–Kronig relations, the wavelength dependence of the real part of the refractive index is related to the material absorption, described by the imaginary part of the refractive index (also called the extinction coefficient)." - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispersion_(optics)

Monochromatic light does not suffer color separation upon passing through a prism. 'White' light does because it is a combination of different wavelengths that are bent differently upon passing through a prism.

HeavyMetal said:
I was guessing that this is a result of interaction with the medium. As red light has the least relativistic momentum, it would lose the most energy. This would translate into a smaller angle of refraction. Violet light, being much higher in energy, would be affected the least, and therefore would exhibit a greater angle of refraction.
The guess in the first sentence is true, but the rest not. Typical material like water or glass will absorb light in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. However, they will also interact with light whose frequency is above or below this frequency. This is analogous to a driven harmonic oscillator, who will react the more to a external perturbation the closer the frequency is to it's resonance frequency.
That means violet light interacts stronger with the medium than red light. Part of the energy of the light wave will be converted into electronic excitation energy (polarization) of the medium. However, this electronic excitations are localized on the molecules and don't move. Hence the light is slowed down and the wavelength in the medium is shorter.

Thank you, high schoolphys, for all of your support. I am happy you backed me up and explained my exact learning style!

DrDu said:
The guess in the first sentence is true, but the rest not. Typical material like water or glass will absorb light in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. However, they will also interact with light whose frequency is above or below this frequency. This is analogous to a driven harmonic oscillator, who will react the more to a external perturbation the closer the frequency is to it's resonance frequency.
That means violet light interacts stronger with the medium than red light. Part of the energy of the light wave will be converted into electronic excitation energy (polarization) of the medium. However, this electronic excitations are localized on the molecules and don't move. Hence the light is slowed down and the wavelength in the medium is shorter.

This is invaluable information to me. So what you're telling me is that the phonon of the material that the prism is made of is resonating at a frequency more similar to violet light than red light, and that as a result the violet light is more strongly perturbed? And that we can deduce, because red to violet exhibits an increasing angle of refraction, that the absorbance of this material is of higher frequency than violet?

In this experiment, do people generally use glass or quartz? I know that glass absorbs UV light and that quartz transmits it.

Thanks in advance :)

HeavyMetal said:
In this experiment, do people generally use glass or quartz? I know that glass absorbs UV light and that quartz transmits it.

Thanks in advance :)

Quartz also absorbs in the UV, although at higher frequencies than the absorption lines of normal glass.
Materials also absorb in the IR part of the spectrum, although this is due to molecular vibrations and not electronic absorption. Generally, the refractive index rises both below and above an absorption line (normal refraction ) but falls in the region of the absorption line (anomalous refraction).

DrDu said:
Quartz also absorbs in the UV, although at higher frequencies than the absorption lines of normal glass.

Materials also absorb in the IR part of the spectrum, although this is due to molecular vibrations and not electronic absorption. Generally, the refractive index rises both below and above an absorption line (normal refraction ) but falls in the region of the absorption line (anomalous refraction).
Awesome! Is this perturbation due to the phonon of the material?

HeavyMetal said:
Awesome! Is this perturbation due to the phonon of the material?

Yes, phonons are the quanta of vibrations in solids.

Related to The Difference in Refraction Angles of Different Colored Light

1. What is refraction and how does it affect different colors of light?

Refraction is the change in direction of a wave due to its speed changing as it passes through different mediums. This affects different colors of light because each color has a different wavelength and therefore, a different speed. This causes the colors to bend at different angles when passing through a medium, resulting in a difference in refraction angles.

2. Why do different colors of light bend at different angles when passing through a medium?

This is because different colors of light have different wavelengths, which determines their speed in a medium. The shorter the wavelength, the faster the speed. As light passes through a medium, the different wavelengths are affected differently, causing the colors to bend at varying angles.

3. How do we measure the difference in refraction angles of different colored light?

The difference in refraction angles of different colored light can be measured using a device called a spectrophotometer. This device measures the angle at which light bends as it passes through a medium, allowing us to compare the refraction angles of different colors.

4. What is the significance of studying the difference in refraction angles of different colored light?

Studying the difference in refraction angles of different colored light is important in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and photography. It helps us understand how light behaves in different mediums and how it can be manipulated to our advantage, such as in lenses or prisms.

5. Can the difference in refraction angles of different colored light be seen with the naked eye?

No, the difference in refraction angles of different colored light cannot be seen with the naked eye. However, it can be observed using specialized equipment or in natural phenomena such as rainbows, where the varying refraction angles of different colors of light create a colorful spectrum.