The distance from the top of a block floating in the water to water

In summary, the wood block with a density of 653.49 kg/m3 floats in water. The distance from the top of the block to the water is 5.22792 cm, which is wrong. The block would need to be submerged more than half the way to be correct.
PoPrOcKsRoCk

Homework Statement

A 8 cm × 8 cm × 8 cm wood block with a density of 653.49 kg/m3 floats in water.
What is the distance from the top of the block to the water if the water is fresh?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

weight= density*volume*g
weight=653.49*(512)*9.8
weight=3278951.424 Newton

weight=densitywater*g* 8 cm* 8 cm*depth
3278951.424=1000*9.81*8*8*d
3278951.424=627200*d
d=5.22792 cm...which is wrong

I have also tried subtracting 8 from 5.22792 and I got 2.77208 cm. I tried to submit it into my homework website and it is telling me I am wrong. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah well, your units of length are not consistent throughout the calculation. In some quantities, you use centimetres and in other quantities you use metres.

Also, the "d" you are calculating is the height of the immersed part. You want the height of the un-immersed part.

So I would need to change the 8 cm to 0.08 m, right?

If I do that, then my answer would be;

weight= density*volume*g
weight=653.49*(5.14*10^-4)*9.8
weight= 3.2788 Newton

weight=densitywater*g* 8 cm* 8 cm*depth
3.2788=1000*9.8*0.08*0.08*d
3.2788=62.72*d
d=0.0522768 m?

And the height of the un-immersed part is 7.9477 m?

The last part is def. wrong. Remember, the height of the box is 8 cm, not 8 m. So you need to subtract your final answer from 0.08, not from 8. Assuming you did the calculations right (which I haven't checked), this means that more than half the box is immersed.

cepheid said:
The last part is def. wrong. Remember, the height of the box is 8 cm, not 8 m. So you need to subtract your final answer from 0.08, not from 8. Assuming you did the calculations right (which I haven't checked), this means that more than half the box is immersed.

I tried the answer 7.9477 m and it told me I was right. I don't understand how though because the 8 is in cm and the 0.0522768 is in m. I will have to talk to my professor about that. Thank you for your help.

Related to The distance from the top of a block floating in the water to water

1. What determines the distance from the top of a block floating in the water to the water?

The distance from the top of a block floating in the water to the water is determined by the weight and density of the block, as well as the density of the surrounding water. This is known as the buoyancy force, which is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the block.

2. Does the shape of the block affect the distance from the top to the water?

Yes, the shape of the block can affect the distance from the top to the water. A block with a larger surface area will displace more water and therefore float higher, while a block with a smaller surface area will displace less water and float lower.

3. How does the temperature of the water affect the distance from the top of the block to the water?

The temperature of the water does not directly affect the distance from the top of the block to the water. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the density of the water. Cooler water is more dense, so a block will float higher in cooler water compared to warmer water.

4. Can the distance from the top of the block to the water change over time?

Yes, the distance from the top of the block to the water can change over time. This can happen if the weight or density of the block changes, or if the density of the surrounding water changes due to factors such as temperature or salinity.

5. How can you calculate the distance from the top of the block to the water?

The distance from the top of the block to the water can be calculated using the buoyancy force equation: Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyancy force, ρ is the density of the water, V is the volume of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the distance from the top of the block to the water.