The DNA of Eve: Uncovering the Mystery of Human Origins

In summary: It is my understanding that the DNA guys have concluded that all Homo sapiens originated as progeny of a single "Eve" in Central(?) Africa. Since I haven't heard anything about "Adam," I assume that the genetic tracers don't allow anything to be said about the male lineage. It is my understanding that the DNA guys have concluded that all Homo sapiens originated as progeny of a single "Eve" in Central(?) Africa. However, since they don't have anything about Adam, they can't say for certain that the male lineage didn't exist. It is my understanding that the DNA guys have concluded that all Homo sapiens originated as progeny of a single "Eve" in Central(?)
JonahHex
It is my understanding that the DNA guys have concluded that all Homo sapiens originated as progeny of a single "Eve" in Central(?) Africa.

Since I haven't heard anything about "Adam," I assume that the genetic tracers don't allow anything to be said about the male lineage. Be that as it may.

Presumably, in order for Eve to be "Eve," she had multiple children; presumably some were male, others female.

Does anyone have any idea what happened next? In order for Eve to be "Eve" the immediately logical deduction is that her children would have had to inbreed. Somehow it doesn't make sense that, if her sons had surviving children from females other than their sisters, the DNA would trace directly back to Eve.

Does anyone have a handle on this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mitochondrial Eve is the name given by researchers to the woman who is the most recent common matrilineal ancestor of all living humans. We know about Eve because of mitochondria organelles that are only passed from mother to offspring. ...

Although Mitochondrial Eve was named after Eve of the Genesis creation myth, this has led to some misunderstandings among the general public. A common misconception is that Mitochondrial Eve was the only living female of her time — she was not (indeed, had she been, humanity would have probably become extinct). Rather, at all times during humanity's existence there has been a large population of humans. Many women alive at the same time as Mitochondrial Eve have descendants alive today. However, only Mitochondrial Eve produced an unbroken line of daughters that persists today — each of the other matrilineal lineages was broken when a woman had only sons, or no children at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Ok. No, I wasn't under the misconception that Eve was the only female. It was the "unbroken line of daughters" qualifier that I was missing.

Thx.

Would I be correct in assuming that, short of mass extinction, it is now statistically improbable, if not impossible, to break the line of daughters? If so, any idea how many generations it took to reach that point? (more or less)

Last edited:

Related to The DNA of Eve: Uncovering the Mystery of Human Origins

1. What is the DNA of Eve?

The DNA of Eve refers to the genetic material found in the cells of all living humans, which can be traced back to a common female ancestor known as "Mitochondrial Eve". This DNA is inherited solely from the mother and allows scientists to study the origins and evolution of the human species.

2. How is the DNA of Eve studied?

The DNA of Eve is studied through a process called mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) analysis. This involves extracting DNA from the mitochondria, which are small structures within cells responsible for producing energy. By comparing the mtDNA sequences of different individuals, scientists can trace back their maternal lineages to a single common ancestor.

3. What can we learn from studying the DNA of Eve?

Studying the DNA of Eve can provide valuable insights into the origins and migrations of early humans. It can also shed light on the genetic diversity and relationships among different populations, and help us better understand the evolution of our species.

4. Is the DNA of Eve the same as the DNA of Adam?

No, the DNA of Eve and the DNA of Adam are not the same. While the DNA of Eve is inherited solely from the mother, the DNA of Adam (found in the Y chromosome) is inherited solely from the father. However, both the DNA of Eve and the DNA of Adam can be used to trace back the origins of our species.

5. How does the DNA of Eve support the theory of evolution?

The DNA of Eve provides strong evidence for the theory of evolution as it shows that all modern humans can trace their ancestry back to a single female ancestor who lived in Africa around 200,000 years ago. This supports the idea that all humans share a common ancestor and have evolved over time through natural selection and other mechanisms.