The Elegant Universe questions

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation revolves around various theories and concepts in quantum mechanics, string theory, and the nature of reality. There is discussion about the possibility of parallel universes, the spatial dimensions in string theory, undiscovered fundamental forces, and the attempts of string theory to connect with reality. There are also questions about negative energy, particles and waves, and the concept of radiation. The conversation also touches on the idea of space fabric ripping and the unification of forces during the big bang. The suggestion is made to read the book "The Elegant Universe" for a deeper understanding of these topics.
Skhandelwal
"The Elegant Universe" questions

Does quantum mechanics really believe in parallel universe? Do all the physicist have to accept this as the mainstream theory?

Are the other dimensions in the String Theory spatial?

Is it possible for the universe to have more undiscovered fundamental forces?

What causes strings to vibrate in the M theory? And how do we know about their shape? Also, how can something be circular like rubber band if it is only 1 dimensional?

Even though, string theory is very consistent due to mathematics...would it still be considered a philosophy since it makes to attempts to connect to reality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Skhandelwal said:
Does quantum mechanics really believe in parallel universe?
No. Rumors claim that some interpretations of it did, though.
Do all the physicist have to accept this as the mainstream theory?
QM? Yes. Parallel universes as necessary for qm? I've never heard a physicist claiming that. Parallel universes are mostly popular in boards like this one.

Are the other dimensions in the String Theory spatial?
Most if not all additional dimensions postulated in whatever bsm theories, including string approaches, are spatial.

Is it possible for the universe to have more undiscovered fundamental forces?
Yes. At least I wouldn't know of any theorem restricting the fundamental interactions to those we already know.

Even though, string theory is very consistent due to mathematics...would it still be considered a philosophy since it makes to attempts to connect to reality?
Assuming you meant "no attempts": I would say that string theory does a lot of attempts to connect to reality and experimental results. It is a bit naive to think the stringers wouldn't know themselves that measurable predictions are important.
I think the problem is more with the complication of doing so and the triviality of the results. If a result is either an electron with a mass of 1 kg or realistic particle masses with no further distinctions from some simpler theory for realistically feasible experiments, then the former result is obviously wrong and the latter result cannot lead to an experimental evidence for string theory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, here are a few more questions inspired by watching "the elegant universe".

What is negative energy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_particle

What is a particle? What is a wave? What is the diff.btw them? What is a radiation? What is the diff. btw wave and radiation?

In the Elegant Universe, Greene talks about how space fabric rips creating a wormhole. How can the space rip?

Greene also claims that at the temperature when big bang occured, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces were united. How?

Thanx a lot.

Skhandelwal said:
Thanks for the answer, here are a few more questions inspired by watching "the elegant universe".
Oh - you watched it.

After being so excited to tape it, I didn't even sit through the TV show once I saw how perfunctory it was.

You should read the book. It is 100x more illuminating than the TV show - like the diff between a trailer for a movie - and the movie itself. I found it one of the most mind-stretching books I've read.

Last edited:

FAQ: The Elegant Universe questions

1. What is "The Elegant Universe" about?

"The Elegant Universe" is a popular science book written by physicist Brian Greene. It explores the concept of string theory and how it attempts to unify the laws of physics.

2. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings. These strings are thought to be the key to understanding the nature of gravity and the other fundamental forces in the universe.

3. Why is it called "The Elegant Universe"?

The term "elegant" in physics refers to a theory that is simple, yet able to explain a wide range of phenomena. String theory is considered elegant because it attempts to unify all the forces and particles in the universe into one simple framework.

4. Is string theory proven?

No, string theory is still a theoretical concept and has not been definitively proven. However, many scientists believe that it has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and may one day be supported by experimental evidence.

5. How does string theory relate to other theories of physics?

String theory is currently the leading candidate for a theory of everything, as it attempts to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also incorporates ideas from other fields of physics, such as supersymmetry and extra dimensions.