The End of Time: A Dimensionless Universe Explained

• Thread starter Rodrigo Cesar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: The usual definition is that a dimension is a measure of the rank of a basis. So what would be the basis for a dimensionless space? That's what I would ask him, and then go from there.So in summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a dimensionless universe, where time and space are considered illusions. The idea of universal wholeness and quantum interconnectedness was also brought up, with the belief that geometry and dimensions are abstract concepts in this universe. The conversation was inspired by a book called "The end of time: the next revolution in physics". The meaning of a dimensionless universe was questioned, and it was suggested that the conversation starter should clarify what they mean by "dimension" in this context.
Rodrigo Cesar
I'm talking to a friend here in whatsapp, he says that he believe in a 'dimensionless universe', look what he said... "let's consider that time is an illusion and since time has such an intimate relationship with space, space is an illusion as well". he said that the concept of universal wholeness (quantum interconnectedness) points to a universe where geometry and dimensions are abstract concepts. The map of the territory but not the territory itself. he got these ideas the book called "The end of time: the next revolution in physics"

what does he means about it? a dimensionless universe? :oldconfused:

Space news on Phys.org
Rodrigo Cesar said:

Who knows. The whole paragraph is what we call "word salad".

...time is an illusion...
...therefore (space is as well)...
...universal wholeness (quantum interconnectedness)...
...points to...

None of these phrases mean anything.

Likes Evo
Rodrigo Cesar said:
I'm talking to a friend here in whatsapp, he says that he believe in a 'dimensionless universe', look what he said... "let's consider that time is an illusion and since time has such an intimate relationship with space, space is an illusion as well". he said that the concept of universal wholeness (quantum interconnectedness) points to a universe where geometry and dimensions are abstract concepts. The map of the territory but not the territory itself. he got these ideas the book called "The end of time: the next revolution in physics"

Tell him his whole idea is an illusion, especially when he thinks he has learned things sufficiently just from a Pop-Sci book.

Zz.

Likes Evo
Thanks, I came here to ask, because I really didn't understand, how would be a "dimensionless universe" lol, very nonsense

Tell him that since time and space are illusions, he has nothing to lose by giving you the login and password to his illusory bank account.

Likes OmCheeto
Rodrigo Cesar said:

I'm personally wary when I hear loosely stated arguments like this about "illusions"; it is so easy to call things illusions, but harder to demonstrate that they are illusions. Illusions of what? And it's easy to go further down that seemingly endless road, e.g X is just an illusion of Y, but Y may also be an illusion of Z and so on...

Clarity is needed IMO. It's friday, so I'm going to listen to some music, I'll start with Imagination - Just An Illusion :smile:.

The OP's friend might get some benefit from reading up on Plato's allegory of the cave.

Basically, thinking things are an illusion is an illusion.

Likes phinds
Rodrigo Cesar said:

The people who say "Everything's an illusion, maaaannn" are some of the most annoying, especially when they try to follow it up with a haphazard understanding of philosophy or physics.

Time isn't an illusion, and space being illusory would have nothing to do with it being dimensionless, and there is no such thing as a "dimensionless" space anyway, because a space has to be a space of something, like the space of all ordered pairs of real numbers (x, y), also known as ℝ2, or the space of solutions to a differential equation.

A good place to start is to reach an agreement on what constitutes a 'dimension'.

Related to The End of Time: A Dimensionless Universe Explained

1. What is the concept of a "dimensionless universe"?

The concept of a dimensionless universe refers to a theoretical state in which the fundamental constants of nature (such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant) are equal to 1. This would essentially mean that the universe has no physical dimensions and is therefore indistinguishable from a single point.

2. How does the idea of a dimensionless universe relate to the end of time?

The idea of a dimensionless universe is often linked to the end of time because it suggests that at this state, time itself would cease to exist. Without physical dimensions, there would be no way to measure the passage of time, leading to the concept of an eternal and timeless universe.

3. What evidence do we have for a dimensionless universe?

There is currently no empirical evidence for a dimensionless universe. It is a purely theoretical concept that arises from certain interpretations of fundamental physics, such as string theory and the theory of relativity. However, it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

4. How does the concept of a dimensionless universe impact our understanding of the origins of the universe?

The concept of a dimensionless universe has significant implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe. It suggests that the universe may have emerged from a single point, making it difficult to determine the initial conditions that led to its formation. It also raises questions about the nature of time and how it may have come into existence.

5. Is a dimensionless universe a possible or probable scenario for the end of time?

As mentioned earlier, the idea of a dimensionless universe is still a topic of debate and research. While some theories propose this as a potential outcome for the end of time, there is currently no consensus on whether it is a possible or probable scenario. More research and evidence are needed to determine the likelihood of a dimensionless universe.