The expected value of a Geometric Series

In summary, the expected value in a geometric distribution can be calculated without using moment generating functions by using the definition of the expected value and converting the summation into a series. Differentiating both sides of the equation will provide a formula for evaluating the summation, which will be similar to the one needed for the geometric distribution. Additionally, pulling out the factor of 1/(1-p) will make the calculation more transparent when it is added back in.
relinquished™
I'm supposed to prove that in a geometric distribution, the expected value,

[tex]
\mu = \frac{1}{p}
[/tex]

without the use of moment generating functions (whatever that is)

I start off with the very definition of the expected value.

[tex]
\mu_x = E(x) = \sum x \cdot p \cdot (1-p)^{x-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mu_x = p \sum x \cdot (1-p)^{x-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mu_x = p \sum x \cdot (1-p)^x \cdot (1-p)^{-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mu_x = \frac{p}{1-p} \sum x \cdot (1-p)^x
[/tex]

Now I get stuck because I don't know how to evaluate the summation. Can anyone help me out?

btw, x starts from 1 to n

Physics news on Phys.org
can you sum y^r as r goes from 1 to n. what if you differentiate both sides?

I am assuming that [tex]y^r[/tex] is [tex](1-p)^x[/tex]. If I would convert the summation into its series and differentiate both sides, what would be the derivative of [tex]\mu_x[/tex]?

erm, what? i indicated to you how to sum a certain kind of series, the series you wanted to sum. I'm not doing anything with differentiating mu_x.

err... sorry, my bad. So, when you said differentiate both sides I thought both sides of the equation. What you really mean is that in order to evaluate the summation you need to differentiate, am I understanding it right?

you know a formula :

S(n) = sum 1 to n of y^r

that is anequation in y, diff wrt to y and you'll find a formula for a sum that looks a lot like the one you want to sum in your problem. you've pulled that factor of 1/(1-p) out when you shouldn't have: it'll make it more transparent when you put it back in.

Related to The expected value of a Geometric Series

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value of a geometric series?

The formula for calculating the expected value of a geometric series is: E(X) = a / (1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How is the expected value of a geometric series different from the expected value of a regular series?

The expected value of a regular series is calculated by adding all the terms and dividing by the number of terms. However, the expected value of a geometric series takes into account the infinite number of terms and uses the formula mentioned above.

3. What does the expected value of a geometric series represent?

The expected value of a geometric series represents the average value of all the possible outcomes in the series. It can also be interpreted as the long-term average of the series.

4. Can the expected value of a geometric series be negative?

Yes, the expected value of a geometric series can be negative if the common ratio r is negative and the absolute value of r is greater than 1. This means that the series is decreasing and the average value will be negative.

5. How is the expected value of a geometric series used in real-life applications?

The expected value of a geometric series is used in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering to make predictions and forecasts based on past data. It is also used in probability and statistics to analyze and understand the behavior of random variables.