The first Law of Thermodynamics seems confusing to me.

In summary, the conversation discusses the first law of thermodynamics, which is sometimes written as \DeltaU = \DeltaQ-P \DeltaV and sometimes as \DeltaU = Q+W, and sometimes as \DeltaU = Q - W. The confusion lies in the different sign conventions used in thermodynamics and the effect it has on the equations. The conversation also touches on the adiabatic process and constant pressure expansion, and how the internal energy changes in each case. It is important to note the difference between the two processes and the effect they have on the internal energy of an ideal gas.
marcelnv
Hi,

The first law of thermodynamic is sometimes written as
[itex]\Delta[/itex]U = [itex]\Delta[/itex]Q-P [itex]\Delta[/itex]V and sometimes as [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = Q+W, and sometimes [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = Q - W. I am confused about all these.
I also know that W is positive when the system in question does work to its surrounding and negative otherwise. Looking at [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = [itex]\Delta[/itex]Q-P [itex]\Delta[/itex]V, i want to conclude that every expansion entails positive work and every compression negative work. I'm I correct to do so?

Science news on Phys.org
Yep, that's right.

Thanks to all for your help. I am actually grabbing some sense out of your comments.
My problem still remains.
Let's consider for instance an Adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas. We have the first law:
[itex]\Delta[/itex]U = Q - W.
Now Adiabatic process [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Q = 0, hence
[itex]\Delta[/itex]U = - W.
But W = P [itex]\Delta[/itex]V [itex]\succ[/itex] 0 for expansion; assuming constant P.
This Would mean [itex]\Delta[/itex]U [itex]\prec[/itex] 0 i.e Internal energy decreases, when the gas expands at constant pressure.
Now considering the equation of state of an ideal gas
U = [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] PV [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex]U =[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] P[itex]\Delta[/itex]V.
Expansion would mean [itex]\Delta[/itex]V [itex]\succ[/itex] 0, hence
[itex]\Delta[/itex]U [itex]\succ[/itex] 0 , so that the internal energy increases in this case.

Is there something I'm getting wrong in the above reasoning?
Thanks for helping.

You cannot use PV=nRT directly for an adiabatic expansion since temperature is not constant so you cannot integrate the first law.

For adiabatic first law

dq=0; dU=dw=-PdV

dw = CvdT

-PdV = CvdT

[tex]{C_v}dT + PdV = 0[/tex]

[tex]{C_v}\frac{{dT}}{T} + nR\frac{{dV}}{V} = 0[/tex]

integrating between initial and final temps and initial and final volumes

[tex]{C_v}\ln \frac{{{T_2}}}{{{T_1}}} + nR\ln \frac{{{V_2}}}{{{V_1}}} = 0[/tex]

if [tex]\gamma = \frac{{{C_p}}}{{{C_v}}}[/tex]

and nR = Cp - Cv

then we can arrive at

[tex]\frac{{{T_1}}}{{{T_2}}} = {\left( {\frac{{{V_2}}}{{{V_1}}}} \right)^{\gamma - 1}}[/tex]

and

PV[itex]\gamma[/itex] = constant

Last edited:
It seems that you are mixing the adiabatic and constant pressure processes.
In the adiabatic expansion the internal energy decreases. The pressure is not constant so you cannot write the change in U as 3/2 P*Delta V.

For constant pressure expansion heat must be transferred to the gas. The internal energy of the ideal gas will increase in this case.

FAQ: The first Law of Thermodynamics seems confusing to me.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. It is also known as the law of conservation of energy.

How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to heat and work?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that any heat added to the system must either be used for work or result in an increase in the internal energy of the system.

Why is the first law of thermodynamics confusing?

The first law of thermodynamics can be confusing because it involves abstract concepts such as energy and work, and it can be difficult to visualize how they are related. It may also be confusing because the law does not specify how energy is transformed, only that it is conserved.

How is the first law of thermodynamics applied in real life?

The first law of thermodynamics has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in energy production and consumption, climate change, and the functioning of biological systems. For example, the first law explains how a car engine converts fuel into motion, and how our bodies convert food into energy.

What are some common misconceptions about the first law of thermodynamics?

One common misconception about the first law of thermodynamics is that it contradicts the idea of perpetual motion. In reality, the first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, not that it cannot be transformed. Another misconception is that the first law applies only to closed systems, when in fact it can also be applied to open systems where energy can enter or leave the system.