The Force Between Alpha Particles at 5.6E-15m

• Thread starter physmakesme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force between alpha particles at a distance of 5.6E-15m is known as the strong nuclear force. It can be calculated using a specific formula and is most effective at this distance, known as the nuclear range. This force is much stronger than other fundamental forces and its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations.
physmakesme
The nucleus of 8Be, which consists of 4 protons and 4 neutrons is very unstable and separates into two alpha particles (2 protons and 2 neutrons) what is the force between the two alpha particles if the distance is 5.60*10^-15m

I thought you would just use the formula F=ke*q1*q2/r^2

so I did that and I repeatedly have the wrong answer:

F= (8.99*10^9)(1.60*10^-19)(1.60*10^-19)/(5.60*10^-15)^2= 41.1N

Please tell what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the charge on an alpha particle?

FAQ: The Force Between Alpha Particles at 5.6E-15m

1. What is the force between alpha particles at 5.6E-15m?

The force between alpha particles at a distance of 5.6E-15m is known as the strong nuclear force. It is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together.

2. How is the force between alpha particles at 5.6E-15m calculated?

The force between alpha particles at this distance can be calculated using the formula for the strong nuclear force, which takes into account the distance between the particles, the strong coupling constant, and the number of nucleons in each particle.

3. What is the significance of the distance of 5.6E-15m in relation to the force between alpha particles?

This distance is known as the nuclear range and is the distance at which the strong nuclear force is most effective between alpha particles. It is also the distance at which the attractive force between particles is equal to the repulsive force, resulting in a stable nucleus.

4. How does the force between alpha particles at 5.6E-15m compare to other forces?

The strong nuclear force between alpha particles is much stronger than the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the attraction between protons and electrons. It is also stronger than the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for radioactive decay.

5. Can the force between alpha particles at 5.6E-15m be observed or measured?

Due to the extremely small distance involved, it is not possible to directly measure the force between alpha particles at 5.6E-15m. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations, providing valuable insights into the fundamental interactions of particles in the nucleus.