The graph of the function, given one value and the limit

In summary, the task is to sketch a graph that satisfies the conditions of having a limit of 3 as x approaches 2 and a value of 4 at x=2. However, the attempt at a solution leads to confusion as the point (2,3) cannot coexist with the point (2,4) on the graph. This suggests that the graph may have a "hole".
Emworthington

Homework Statement

Sketch a graph of a function that satisfies the stated conditions:
lim f(x) [as x approaches 2) = 3 and f(2) = 4.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the graph looks like an absolute value function (because the professor told me), but I'm really confused when I draw it out. As x approaches 2, the limit is 3. To me, this meant that the vertex of the graph is the coordinate (2,3) since 3 was the limit. However, when x=2, y=4, and the points can't coexist on this graph. What am I figuring/looking at wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emworthington said:

Homework Statement

Sketch a graph of a function that satisfies the stated conditions:
lim f(x) [as x approaches 2) = 3 and f(2) = 4.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the graph looks like an absolute value function (because the professor told me), but I'm really confused when I draw it out. As x approaches 2, the limit is 3. To me, this meant that the vertex of the graph is the coordinate (2,3) since 3 was the limit. However, when x=2, y=4, and the points can't coexist on this graph. What am I figuring/looking at wrong?
If this is the problem as given, it has nothing to do with an absolute value function.

It's a graph with a "hole" in it.

FAQ: The graph of the function, given one value and the limit

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input (or independent variable) corresponds to exactly one output (or dependent variable).

2. What is a graph of a function?

A graph of a function is a visual representation of the relationship between the input and output values of the function. It usually consists of a set of points plotted on a coordinate plane.

3. What does the limit of a function represent?

The limit of a function represents the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It is a way of describing the behavior of the function near a particular point.

4. How do you find the limit of a function algebraically?

To find the limit of a function algebraically, you can use the rules of limits, such as the sum and difference rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use substitution, factoring, and rationalization techniques to simplify the function and evaluate the limit.

5. Why is knowing the limit of a function important?

Knowing the limit of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function near a certain point, whether it approaches a specific value or diverges to infinity. It is also a crucial concept in calculus and is used to define important concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals.