The Greatest Mathematical technique-tell me

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter lewis198
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary: Newton's laws of motion are the result of applying calculus to the problem of describing the behavior of objects in motion.
lewis198
Hey Guys, question:

In your opinion, what mathematical technique stretches the limit of human reasoning, or simply is the most fascinating?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about "techniques," but I've recently started into real analysis -- I find aleph numbers and the concepts of countability and uncountability to be fascinating.

literally? infinity

i like deformation theory, the differential calculus of moduli spaces. This often involves sheaf cohomology, another of my favorite tools.

I also like the tools of algebraic and differential topology. and galois theory is pretty brilliant, but I find it less generally useful.

the most useful, and hence important mathematical tools are almost universally agreed to be calculus and linear algebra, hence those are the ones "EVERYONE" should study.

Last edited:
Well, in my oponion Equation theory is the basic and fundamental theory that nearly all of mathematics including Algebra, Calculus Trigonometry etc. This logic creates all of mathematics. So my say is that Equation Theory is by far the mist useful and important technique..

Not so much a technique as a notation for me. Specifically, positional notation with zeroes, for representing numbers and doing basic arithmetic with them.

What do you get if you multiply XXXVII by LXIV? I don't know, and I'm sure as hell not going to find out!

Also as I've started learning about the foundations of maths (purely in my spare time, for my own enjoyment), I've been very impressed by the way that all those disparate bits of maths that I learned, can be given a common foundation in axiomatic set theory.

An inquisitive mind is the most important tool a mathematician may possess.

Nancarrow said:
Not so much a technique as a notation for me. Specifically, positional notation with zeroes, for representing numbers and doing basic arithmetic with them.

What do you get if you multiply XXXVII by LXIV? I don't know, and I'm sure as hell not going to find out!

Just make a doubling table! :rolleyes:

Code:
LXIV      I
CXXVIII   II
CCLVI     IV
DXII      VIII
MXXIV     XVI
MMXLXIII  XXXII

Code:
LXIV      I

CCLVI     IV

MMXLXIII  XXXII

Collecting symbols, we get MMCCLXLXXVIVIIII. Simplifying, we have MMCCCXXIII.

Whew!

Let [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]

Not necessarily a technique, but calculus was what made me love math and now, we are happily married (we still get arguments when we get to logarithms and probability/permutations/combinatorics though)

Seriously, how did Newton do that? Creating something that made humanity advance so much further forwards, only with the mathematics available at that time?

FAQ: The Greatest Mathematical technique-tell me

1. What is the Greatest Mathematical Technique?

The Greatest Mathematical Technique is a method used by mathematicians to solve complex mathematical problems. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then using various mathematical tools and principles to find a solution.

2. How does the Greatest Mathematical Technique work?

The Greatest Mathematical Technique works by first identifying the problem and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, various mathematical tools and principles are applied to each part to find a solution. Finally, the solutions for each part are combined to solve the overall problem.

3. What makes the Greatest Mathematical Technique so effective?

The Greatest Mathematical Technique is effective because it allows for complex problems to be broken down into simpler parts, making them easier to solve. It also utilizes various mathematical principles and tools, allowing for multiple approaches to finding a solution.

4. Can the Greatest Mathematical Technique be used for any type of mathematical problem?

Yes, the Greatest Mathematical Technique can be applied to almost any type of mathematical problem. However, its effectiveness may vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the availability of appropriate mathematical tools and principles.

5. Is the Greatest Mathematical Technique the only way to solve complex mathematical problems?

No, the Greatest Mathematical Technique is not the only way to solve complex mathematical problems. There are other methods and techniques that can also be used, depending on the specific problem at hand. However, the Greatest Mathematical Technique is a widely used and effective approach in the field of mathematics.