The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem

• Thread starter Perturbation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the author is stuck on a part of the proof for the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem. He introduces a set of (2A+1)(2B+1) fermionic operators, but doesn't seem to understand how to work them through using commutation relations. Somebody in the Beyond the Standard Model forum might be able to help him out.
Perturbation
Hey, guys. I recently bought Weinberg's QFT Vol. III on Supersymmetry and I'm a bit stuck with part of the proof he gives for the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem in chapter 25.2. He starts off by giving the usual way of classifying representations of the Homo' Lorentz group by a pair of integers (A, B) according to

[tex]\mathbf{A}=\tfrac{1}{2}\left(\mathbf{J}+i\mathbf{K}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{B}=\tfrac{1}{2}\left(\mathbf{J}-i\mathbf{K}\right)[/tex]

Where J and K are the generators of rotations and boost respectively. This I'm familiar with. Then he introduces a set of (2A+1)(2B+1) fermionic operators [itex]Q_{ab}^{AB}[/itex] (with a=-A...A and b=-B...B) that furnish an (A, B) representation of the Homo' Lorentz group, ok. But what I don't get is the commutation relations he gives for these operators with A and B as above

[tex][\mathbf{A}, Q_{ab}^{AB}]=-\sum_{a'}\mathbf{J}^{(A)}_{aa'}Q_{a'b}^{AB}[/tex].
[tex][\mathbf{B}, Q_{ab}^{AB}]=-\sum_{b'}\mathbf{J}^{(B)}_{bb'}Q_{ab'}^{AB}[/tex]

Where [itex]\mathbf{J}^{(j)}[/itex] is the spin j three-vector matrix. The commutation relations make sense intuitively: the commutator of A and Q should be a sum of Q's that belong to the A rep', likewise with the commutator with B. But I don't quite get the introduction of J, does anyone have a proof they can give or link me to? I follow the rest of the proof of the theorem, but these commutation relations are quite important to establish a starting point of the theorem, namely the relation between the Hermitian adjoint of an (A, B) operator and a (B, A) operator. I'd skip over it and just accept it but it's bothering me and I'm not usually the sort to assume important results.

I was thinking I could write [itex]Q_{ab}^{AB}[/itex] as a tensor product of A and B spinor operators and work it through like that, and given that A and B satisfy the usual commutation relations of angular momentum it makes sense that J should pop out at the end, but I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm not looking at it right and the Q's are just adjusted so that they obey said relations...if so I wasted five minutes writing this. All Weinberg says in relation to them is "Moreover the Q's satisfy the following commutation relations [the ones referenced above]", or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated, this damn thing is stopping me from progressing through the topic, something I've been interested in for a while, but haven't had the money to buy a book on.

Cheers, folk

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody...?

Perturbation said:
Nobody...?

Not I, said selfy-welfy.

Bummer

Perhaps in the "Beyond the Standard Model" forum?

Perturbation said:
Bummer

Perhaps in the "Beyond the Standard Model" forum?

Could be. That's the proper home for supersymmetry anyway. I'm going to move the thread.

Related to The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem

What is the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem?

The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem is a mathematical theorem in the field of quantum field theory. It states that in a supersymmetric quantum field theory, the supercharges must form a representation of the super Poincaré algebra. This theorem is important in understanding the structure and properties of supersymmetric theories.

Who discovered the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem?

The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem was independently discovered by physicists Reiner Haag and Jerzy Lopuszanski in 1975, and by physicist Marc Sohnius in 1978.

What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes a symmetry between fundamental particles and their corresponding superpartners. It is an extension of the Standard Model of particle physics and has been proposed as a possible solution to the hierarchy problem, which is the large discrepancy between the predicted and observed mass of the Higgs boson.

Why is the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem important?

The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem is important because it provides a fundamental relationship between supersymmetry and the super Poincaré algebra. This relationship is crucial in understanding the structure and constraints of supersymmetric theories, and has implications for the potential discovery of new particles and interactions beyond the Standard Model.

What are some applications of the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem?

The Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius theorem has applications in various areas of theoretical physics, including particle physics, string theory, and cosmology. It has been used to study the properties of supersymmetric theories, to derive constraints on the parameters of the Standard Model, and to explore the possibility of a unified theory that incorporates both gravity and the other fundamental forces of nature.