The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product?

In summary, the conversation is about the Kronecker product, which is the ordinary tensor product of matrices, and its application in computing products like XXZZXXZZ where X and Z are 2x2 matrices representing the Pauli matrices. The problem is that computing a tensor product of ~30 Pauli matrices exceeds the available computer memory, but the product itself is sparse and only the non-zero elements need to be stored. The solution is a formula that computes the i,j component of the tensor product, which has likely already been developed. Additionally, it is noted that the squares of two Pauli matrices are always diagonal and that commutation relations can be used to bring any product of the three Pauli matrices into a specific form. The
Civilized
By the Kronecker product I mean the ordinary tensor product of matrices. In my case I am only interested in square matrices, in fact I want to compute the nonzero elements of products like XXZZXXZZ where X and Z are 2x2 matrices (in fact they are the pauli matrices e.g. the standard representation of the SU(2) algebra).

If I naively compute a tensor product of ~30 pauli matrices, I excede all the computer memory that is availible to a researcher like me. The product itself is quite sparse, and if I only had to store the non-zero elements into memory then I could work with much larger cases of interest. The solution is a formula that computes the i,j component of the tensor product, it seems so straightforward I could do it myself but I presume it has already been done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you are really interested in products of the form XXZZXXZZ then you might be interested to note that the squares XX and ZZ of two Pauli matrices are always diagonal (and in fact, are the unit matrix). Also you might be able to combine this fact with the commutation relations to bring any product of the three Pauli matrices X, Y and Z in the form Xm Yn Zk.

Sorry, I ommited the operand because I thought it was clear from the context, but by XXZZXXZZ I mean [itex]X\otimes X \otimes Z \otimes Z \otimes X \otimes X \otimes Z \otimes Z [/itex], where [itex]\otimes[/itex] denotes the Kronecker product.

Related to The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product?

1. What is the definition of the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product?

The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product is defined as the product of the (i,j) elements of the two matrices being multiplied together. It is the value that appears in the i-th row and j-th column of the resulting matrix.

2. How is the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product calculated?

The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product is calculated by multiplying the i-th row of the first matrix by the j-th column of the second matrix. The resulting value is then placed in the (i,j) position of the resulting matrix.

3. What is the significance of the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product?

The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product represents the interaction between the i-th element of the first matrix and the j-th element of the second matrix. It provides valuable information about the overall structure and properties of the resulting matrix.

4. Can the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product be zero?

Yes, the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product can be zero if either the i-th row of the first matrix or the j-th column of the second matrix contains all zeros. This would result in a zero value being placed in the (i,j) position of the resulting matrix.

5. How does the (i,j) component of a Kronecker product relate to the individual elements of the original matrices?

The (i,j) component of a Kronecker product is a combination of the i-th element of the first matrix and the j-th element of the second matrix. It is influenced by both of these elements and is essential in determining the overall structure and properties of the resulting matrix.