The Infinite Universe Expands is Inaccurate

In summary: The object doesn't cause the space to exist. In fact, the explosion takes place within space and the explosion causes the space to expand.The term "Big Bang Theory" is a misnomer. The correct term is "Big Bang Model". The "Big Bang Model" is the theory that attempts to explain the observations that we make of the Universe. The "Big Bang Model" does not take the position that the Universe was created in an explosion, or that there was an explosion of some sort in "space". If one has the misconception that the Big Bang Model is an explosion in space, then one might ask "what is the Universe expanding into?" But that's not a question
Imparcticle
The term "the universe is infinite" is inaccurate considering the fact that the universe is expanding.

Definitions
1.)By definition, an "infinite set" is: a set whose cardinal elements are equal to the subset of the [infinite] set.

2.) By definition, the word "universe" is defined as "all that there is".

3.) By definition, "space" is the set containing all points. Thus interchangeable with "universe".

4.) By definition, "expand" is "To become greater in size, volume, quantity, or scope"

If the universe becomes greater in size, then it is increasing the space which constitutes itself [the universe]. But can something infinite increase its size? I am pretty sure that it cannot; I am open to correction.
Therefore, (assuming my aforementioned conclusion is correct) saying that "the universe is expanding" is illogical. Rather, "a finite subset of the universe is diffusing itself into the set containing the finite subset."

Of course, that would be assuming that space does not neccesarily depend on occupying matter to exist, right? My reasoning is this:
The universe is a set containing space which is the set of all points (thus including all of the cardinal elements of the universe) that if only the contents of the universe are expanding, then the entire universe should be too unless not all of space is expanding or only the occupied space is expanding.

Another idea I have for this problem is this: If the universe is infinite and is expanding, this means that the way the contents of the universe are arranged is changing?

Wait, I just got an idea (or rather a question): The universe cannot be infinite because it would converge to a limit, as in calculus, right?

If my ideas are incoherent, please point that out so that I may try to clarify it. I just jotted this down because it has been on my mind for the past week, and I wanted your opinion on it. Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Imparcticle said:
The term "the universe is infinite" is inaccurate considering the fact that the universe is expanding.

This is incorrect, general relativety allows for an infiinte expandoing unievrse without contradiction.

Definitions
1.)By definition, an "infinite set" is: a set whose cardinal elements are equal to the subset of the [infinite] set.[/quote]

By defintion an infinite set is set that has a one-to-one correspondance with a proper subset of it's self i.e. a set containing a proper subset of the sam ecardianlity as itself.

The universe is usually defined as evrything.

3.) By definition, "space" is the set containing all points. Thus interchangeable with "universe".

space is poorly defined, infact you have to be careful, the set of which points? the set of points in a given observers frame at a given time or the set of events in spacetime?

4.) By definition, "expand" is "To become greater in size, volume, quantity, or scope"

Not necessarily: in this context to expand means that the distance between two objects, will generally becpome greater with time.

If the universe becomes greater in size, then it is increasing the space which constitutes itself [the universe]. But can something infinite increase its size? I am pretty sure that it cannot; I am open to correction.
Therefore, (assuming my aforementioned conclusion is correct) saying that "the universe is expanding" is illogical. Rather, "a finite subset of the universe is diffusing itself into the set containing the finite subset."

No tan infite universe doe snot increase in size

Of course, that would be assuming that space does not neccesarily depend on occupying matter to exist, right? My reasoning is this:
The universe is a set containing space which is the set of all points (thus including all of the cardinal elements of the universe) that if only the contents of the universe are expanding, then the entire universe should be too unless not all of space is expanding or only the occupied space is expanding.

see above.

Another idea I have for this problem is this: If the universe is infinite and is expanding, this means that the way the contents of the universe are arranged is changing?

basically yes.

Wait, I just got an idea (or rather a question): The universe cannot be infinite because it would converge to a limit, as in calculus, right?

No the universe is not an inifte sequence, series, etc.

The universe is usually defined as evrything.

What is the difference between my definition and yours?

This is incorrect, general relativety allows for an infiinte expandoing unievrse without contradiction

how?

Not necessarily: in this context to expand means that the distance between two objects, will generally becpome greater with time.

Yes, the distance expands not neccesarily the object. The definition can refer to distance as well as the object.

No tan infite universe doe snot increase in size

Please explain.

basically yes.

What is the universe expanding into?

No the universe is not an inifte sequence, series, etc.

How is this determined? Why is it so?

Thank you.

Imparcticle said:
Well obviously, since the universe is "all that there is" it isn't expanding "into" anything. Its just expanding.

russ_watters said:
Well obviously, since the universe is "all that there is" it isn't expanding "into" anything. Its just expanding.

Right! Expansion can be intrinsic as well as extrinsic. This reminds me of how some people wrongly insist that if an n-space is curved, it must be curved in a n+1 space. Of course, both expansion and curvature may be either intrinsic or extinsic.

The term "Big Bang Theory" is often the source of a misconception that results in this question. "Big Bang" is conceptually viewed as an explosion that takes place, and any explosion that we observe here on Earth expands into "something," i.e. the surrounding air, water, etc.

This is what is observed and explained via "Inflation Theory," which I think is a better name for the theory which describes what is happening to the universe.

Imparcticle said:

Definitions
1.)By definition, an "infinite set" is: a set whose cardinal elements are equal to the subset of the [infinite] set.

If my ideas are incoherent, please point that out so that I may try to clarify it. I just jotted this down because it has been on my mind for the past
week, and I wanted your opinion on it. Thanks.

With regards to this, there are several fundamental issues that Physics is not paying enough attention to.

1. TIME SCALES

The assumptions manifesting from the BIG BANG thesis, true as some of them may seem, do not allow physics to pay much attention to the notion of time scale (that is, a time frame within which a given event starts and completes a single cycle of its function) relative to the observer. The problem that is being fundamentally ignored is that time scales come in various degrees and sizes and many of them are beyond the human visual frames of reference. Relative to the human visual frame of reference, there are mixtures of macro and micro time scales that extend beyond the human observational range. Even with microscopic and macroscopic scientific instruments, we still cannot gain sufficient access the exact contents of these time scales. For example, it is almost absurd to claim that things and events contained in infinitely brief time scales are commencing and continuing. It is worst still to begin to say that, at the cosmological time scale, a cosmological event or object that takes billions of earth-years to complete a single cycle of its function is commencing and continuing. What right have we to lay claims to the knowledge of an infinitely exapanding universe when we do not know the exact time scale of such an event?

2. MULTIPLICITY OF REFERENCE

If the universe is structurally and functionally co-referential, how would we know this? For all we know, the universe may be one amongst many! There is nothing as of yet which writes off this very possibility. Even physics itself does not rule out this either.

3. THE NOTION OF STRUCTURAL AND FUNCTIONAL PROGRESS

I always take Einstein's remarks that 'God does not play dice with the universe' to imply that the ordering of things in the unversde, though outwardly chaotic in appearance, is fundamentally progressive, both in scope and in substance. If this is true, how does this fair with the notion of an infinitely expanding universe? Is infinite expansion progressive?

4. THE DEFICIT IN THE BIG BANG THEORY

Aspects of the big bang theory seem to suggest that the universe may be structurally and functionally going around in circles...that is, big bangs after big bangs, ad infinituum. The concept of circularism is well-hated in philosophy and I would think that people in the science community would be feeling the same way about it. How does the notion of Circularism fair with the Notion of Structural and functional progress of the universe, if any? Is Circularism progressive, or is it perfection itself?

Last edited:

Related to The Infinite Universe Expands is Inaccurate

What is the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands?

The concept of the Infinite Universe Expands is that the universe is continuously expanding and has no boundaries or limit in size. It suggests that the universe is infinite in both space and time.

Is the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands accurate?

The accuracy of the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands is a topic of debate among scientists. While it is supported by some theories and observations, there is still no conclusive evidence to prove its accuracy.

What evidence supports the idea of the Infinite Universe Expands?

The expansion of the universe, as observed by the redshift of galaxies, is the main evidence for the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands. This is also supported by the theory of cosmic inflation, which suggests that the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion in its early stages.

What are some arguments against the Infinite Universe Expands?

Some scientists argue that the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands is based on assumptions and cannot be proven. They also suggest that the universe may have a finite size and that the expansion may eventually come to a stop.

How does the concept of the Infinite Universe Expands impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of the Infinite Universe Expands challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and raises questions about its origin, size, and future. It also has implications for theories such as the Big Bang and the ultimate fate of the universe.