The jumping skier (momentum, Newton's laws, energy)

In summary, the problem involves a skier preparing to jump off a movable jumping board with no friction. The known values are the starting speed of the skier, the mass of the skier and jumping board, and the radius and angle of the jumping board. The goal is to find the speed and angle of the skier when they leave the jumping board. The problem can be solved using conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, as well as vector decomposition.
pinsky

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=29907&stc=1&d=1289944203.gif

So, there is a skier (the blue recktangle) preparing to do a jump. There is no friction between the skier and the jumping board, and also no friction between the jumping board and the ground.

Known values are:

v0 - starting speed of the skier
m2 - mas of the jumping board
m1 - mass of the skier
radius and angle (as shown)

The circle is just to show that the jumping board has a form o a circle arc.

I need to find the speed of the skier at the moment when he leaves the jumpingboard (or jumps), and the angle of the speed.

Homework Equations

G=m*v
F=m*a
V=v0 + integral{a(t) dt}

?

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=29909&stc=1&d=1289945249.gif

F_s is the perpendicular force the skier is applying to the jumping-board. It changes with the angle. Alpha is the current angle of the tangent (it's actually a decomposition of the jumping board to triangle like slopes).

I'm basically blocked. I've done the vector decomposition, but i can't set the equations. I'm sure there should be some differentiation here, but i just don't know what.

Some ideas? No need to write formulas, just the starting idea?

Thanx

Attachments

• naloga_2.gif
    naloga_2.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 539
  • vektori.gif
    vektori.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
hi pinsky! :smile:
pinsky said:
Known values are:

v0 - starting speed of the skier
m2 - mas of the jumping board
m1 - mass of the skier
radius and angle (as shown)

I need to find the speed of the skier at the moment when he leaves the jumpingboard (or jumps), and the angle of the speed.

no, this has nothing to do with vectors or with force

this is a straightforward conservation of energy problem …

start again :smile:

Got it!

Thanks!

But, the way with Newtons laws is also possible if we use differentiation, it just way more complicated?

(i like to at least have the idea of other solutions)

yeees … you could find the force at each position, and then do a complicated differential equation …

eugh!​

In the example i needed help with, the jumping board was not fixed in place, but had a finite mass. Let's call that velocity v2. It will have an angle different from 45° if observed from an external coordinate system.
Or, the velocity will have an angle 45° if we observe it from the jumping board coordinate system

In the first example of this problem (one which i didn't mention) the jumping board was stationary, and i also had to calculate the velocity of the skier when he leaves the jumping board.

That was easily calculated through one "preservation of energy" equation for the skier. Let's call that speed v1. Since both external and jumping boards coordinate systems are equal, the angle was always 45°.

What i can't figure out now is, is the velocity of the skier in the second example (when the jumping board is movable), when observed through the coordinate system of the board, equal as the one in the first example?

If yes/no why?

Trying to build up some intuition here :)

hi pinsky! :smile:

can you please clarify what the jumping board is?

in the diagram, is it that almost-triangle with "m2" in the middle, and does it slide along the ground?

Yes, it is the almost triangle and it slides along the ground without friction. :)

hi pinsky! :wink:
pinsky said:
What i can't figure out now is, is the velocity of the skier in the second example (when the jumping board is movable), when observed through the coordinate system of the board, equal as the one in the first example?

If yes/no why?

but the board is accelerating, so you can't find a convenient coordinate system based on the board :redface:

you'll have to use conservation of energy and conservation of momentum :smile:

FAQ: The jumping skier (momentum, Newton's laws, energy)

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion possessed by an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In other words, it describes how difficult it is to stop an object that is in motion.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to a jumping skier?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a jumping skier, the skier's initial state would be at rest on the ground and their motion is initiated by the force of their jump. Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, applies to the skier's motion as they accelerate upwards. Newton's third law, the law of action and reaction, can be seen in the skier's push-off from the ground and the equal and opposite reaction of the ground pushing back on the skier.

3. How is energy involved in a skier's jump?

Energy is involved in a skier's jump in several ways. First, there is potential energy stored in the skier's body as they crouch down before the jump. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the skier jumps and moves through the air. The skier's landing also involves energy, as the kinetic energy they have gained during the jump is converted back into potential energy as they come to a stop on the ground.

4. Does the skier's body position affect their jump?

Yes, the skier's body position can greatly affect their jump. A crouched position before the jump allows for more potential energy to be stored and results in a higher jump. Additionally, the skier's body position in the air can affect their trajectory and distance of the jump.

5. How does air resistance impact a skier's jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact a skier's jump by slowing them down and reducing their velocity. This can result in a shorter jump distance. However, air resistance can also be minimized by a skier's aerodynamic body position, which can help them maintain their velocity and potentially increase their jump distance.

Back