The Limit of a Complex Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the behavior of a given integral as the variable approaches infinity. The integral is over a region where the imaginary part of the variable is positive. By using an estimation technique, it is shown that the integral approaches 0 as the variable approaches infinity. The conversation also briefly considers integrating over a semicircle.
Bachelier
Though it is not homework I posted this here, hopefully it'll get more action. Thanks

given [tex]\int_{\Lambda} \frac{e^{i w}}{w^2 + 1} \mathrm{d}w [/tex] where ##w \in \mathbb{C}## with ##Im(w) \geqslant 0## and ##|w| = \xi##

want to evaluate the behavior of the Integral as ##\xi \rightarrow \infty##

So I have [tex]\left|\int_{\Lambda} \frac{e^{i w}}{w^2 + 1} \mathrm{d}w \right| \leqslant \int_{\Lambda} \left|\frac{e^{iw}}{w^2 + 1} \right| \mathrm{d}w [/tex]

we have ##|exp(iw)| \leqslant 1##

so we're left with the denominator. We can get:

## \left| \frac{1}{w^2 + 1} \right| \leqslant \frac{1}{\xi^2 - i^2}##

Hence the integral is:

[tex]\left|\int_{\Lambda} \frac{e^{i w}}{w^2 + 1} \mathrm{d}w \right| \leqslant \frac{ \pi \xi}{\xi^2 + 1} [/tex]

Thus it goes to ##0## if ##\xi## goes to ##\infty##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you integrating over? By saying |w| > 0 IMw > 0 are you indicating we are integrating over a semicircle?

Jorriss said:
What are you integrating over? By saying |w| > 0 IMw > 0 are you indicating we are integrating over a semicircle?

Exactly, my region ##\Lambda## is where the Imaginary part of ##w## is positive. So we are in the upper half-circle.

And I am going to let ##\xi## explode, to use a Physicist term. :smile:

Nevermind. You're not enclosing the real axis.

Your estimate and conclusion look fine to me.

Related to The Limit of a Complex Integral

1. What is the definition of a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is defined as the limit of a sum of infinitely many infinitely small complex numbers, also known as a Riemann sum.

2. How is a complex integral different from a real integral?

A complex integral differs from a real integral in that it is defined in the complex plane, which includes both real and imaginary numbers. This means that the function being integrated and the limits of integration can also be complex numbers.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem?

The Cauchy integral theorem states that if a function is analytic (meaning it has a continuous derivative) in a closed region of the complex plane, then the value of the complex integral around any closed path within that region is equal to 0.

4. How is the limit of a complex integral calculated?

The limit of a complex integral is calculated by taking the limit of a Riemann sum, which involves dividing the region of integration into smaller and smaller rectangles and summing the values of the function at the corners of each rectangle. As the rectangles become smaller and more numerous, the limit of the sum approaches the value of the complex integral.

5. What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve various mathematical problems. They are particularly useful in studying the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and in analyzing systems with complex-valued solutions.