The Magnetic Field in a Charging Capacitor

In summary: Read the instructions of what is being asked carefully and make sure you are answering the right question.
cjavier

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor of capacitance C with circular plates is charged by a constant current I. The radius a of the plates is much larger than the distance d between them, so fringing effects are negligible. Calculate B(r), the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the capacitor as a function of distance from the axis joining the center points of the circular plates.

Homework Equations

When a capacitor is charged, the electric field E, and hence the electric flux Φ, between the plates changes. This change in flux induces a magnetic field, according to Ampère's law as extended by Maxwell:
∮B⃗ ⋅dl⃗ =μ0(I+ϵ0dΦdt).
You will calculate this magnetic field in the space between capacitor plates, where the electric flux changes but the conduction current I is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the I on the left is zero, I just say the answer is μϵ0dΦdt. This becomes μI which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
cjavier said:

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor of capacitance C with circular plates is charged by a constant current I. The radius a of the plates is much larger than the distance d between them, so fringing effects are negligible. Calculate B(r), the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the capacitor as a function of distance from the axis joining the center points of the circular plates.

Homework Equations

When a capacitor is charged, the electric field E, and hence the electric flux Φ, between the plates changes. This change in flux induces a magnetic field, according to Ampère's law as extended by Maxwell:
∮B⃗ ⋅dl⃗ =μ0(I+ϵ0dΦdt).
You will calculate this magnetic field in the space between capacitor plates, where the electric flux changes but the conduction current I is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the I on the left is zero, I just say the answer is μϵ0dΦdt. This becomes μI which is incorrect.

Interesting problem -- I would approach it with Biot–Savart's law myself, looking at the currents flowing out to each pie-shaped piece of the capacitor plates, and letting the size of the pie pieces shrink to zero. There may be an easier way to do it with the hint that you posted, but I'm not seeing that easier way offhand.

Can you post a try at this using Biot–Savart's law?

What you have here is a time-dependent but (to a good approximation) spatially homogeneous electric field. You are asked for the magnetic field as function of distance from the axis.

I'd rather solve the local Maxwell equations than to try to use the integral form. In this case, between the plates you have [itex]\vec{j}=0[/itex] and thus (in SI units)
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}.[/tex]
I'd use the Coulomb gauge and introduce the vector potential as
[tex]\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0.[/tex]
Then you get
[tex]\Delta \vec{A}=-\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \partial_t \vec{E}.[/tex]
NB: Be careful with the proper definition of the Laplace operator acting on vector fields in curvilinear coordinates (here cylinder coordinates!).

cjavier said:

At any given instant of time you have a homogenous electric field in between the capacitor plates; you can easily calculate this electric field using either Gauss's law or just using the standard formula for the electric field in between infinite (and in this case circular) parallel plate capacitors. After that you can calculate the electric flux in between the plates and use Ampere's law to get the magnetic field. Use the symmetries of the system to argue the symmetry of the magnetic field in order to make the line integral of the magnetic field trivial in Ampere's law.

cjavier said:
You should reread the problem statement and ask yourself if you're answering the question that was asked.

FAQ: The Magnetic Field in a Charging Capacitor

1. What is a charging capacitor?

A charging capacitor is a type of electrical component that can store electric charge by creating an electric field between two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When connected to a power source, such as a battery, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates a potential difference, or voltage, between the two plates.

2. How does a charging capacitor create a magnetic field?

As the capacitor charges, an electric current flows from the positive plate to the negative plate, creating a changing electric field. This changing electric field then induces a magnetic field around the capacitor, according to Faraday's law of induction. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the rate at which the electric field is changing.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a charging capacitor?

The strength of the magnetic field in a charging capacitor depends on the rate of change of the electric field, the size of the plates, and the distance between them. A larger rate of change and a smaller distance between the plates will result in a stronger magnetic field. Additionally, the type of dielectric material used can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field in a charging capacitor affect its surrounding environment?

The magnetic field in a charging capacitor can induce an electric current in nearby conductors, which can potentially disrupt electronic devices or cause interference. However, the strength of the magnetic field is typically very weak and only has a noticeable effect in close proximity to the capacitor.

5. Can the magnetic field in a charging capacitor be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field in a charging capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the rate of change of the electric field or by changing the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the size or distance between plates. This can be useful in electronic circuits where precise control of magnetic fields is necessary.

Back