The mass flow rate in a heat exchnager

In summary, the problem involves cooling Refrigerant-134a by water in a condenser. The refrigerant enters the condenser at 1 MPa and 70oC with a mass flow rate of 6 kg/min and exits at 35oC. The cooling water enters at 300 kPa and 15oC and leaves at 25oC. The required mass flow rate of cooling water is 0.486 kg/s and the heat transfer rate from the refrigerant to water is 20.35 kJ/s. To solve the problem, the thermal properties of the refrigerant and water, specifically the specific heat of Refrigerant-134a, were needed. The solution can also be obtained
JB1234
Refrigerant-134a is to be cooled by water in a condenser. The refrigerant enters the condenser with a mass flow rate of 6 kg/min at 1 MPa and 70oC and leaves at 35oC. The cooling water enters at 300 kPa and 15oC and leaves at 25oC. Neglecting any pressure drop, determine

(a) the mass flow rate of the cooling water required.
(b) the heat transfer rate from the refrigerant to water.

a)I worked it out and my answer is .35kg/s by using the formula Q=mC(T1-T2)
but the answer is given as 0.486 kg/s

b) still didn't work with it
but the answer is given as 20.35 kJ/s

any help will be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the thermal properties of the refrigerant? It looks like you'll need the heat of vaporization and specific heats for liquid and vapor states.

gneill said:
What are the thermal properties of the refrigerant? It looks like you'll need the heat of vaporization and specific heats for liquid and vapor states.

thnx for the reply

But i don't think that we should find the heat vaporization for liquid and vapor state, because we didn't deal with such thing in class , but we do need to find the specific heat of the refrigerant-134a to be able to use the formula which i post above .

Then you should supply the value if it is required.

If you have the refrigerant tables for R-134a, you can alternatively use:

(mΔh)R134a = (mΔh)water

rock.freak667 said:
If you have the refrigerant tables for R-134a, you can alternatively use:

(mΔh)R134a = (mΔh)water

Thats exactly what i did , i found a table at the end of my book and finally i got the right answer

Thanks for both of you

Related to The mass flow rate in a heat exchnager

1. What is the definition of mass flow rate in a heat exchanger?

The mass flow rate in a heat exchanger refers to the amount of fluid or material that passes through the exchanger per unit time. It is usually measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or pounds per hour (lb/hr).

2. How is the mass flow rate calculated in a heat exchanger?

The mass flow rate in a heat exchanger can be calculated by dividing the total mass of fluid that passes through the exchanger by the total time it takes to pass through. This can also be calculated by measuring the velocity of the fluid and its density.

3. What factors affect the mass flow rate in a heat exchanger?

The mass flow rate in a heat exchanger can be affected by several factors, including the type of fluid being used, the temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids, the design and size of the exchanger, and any obstructions or blockages in the flow path.

4. How does the mass flow rate affect the efficiency of a heat exchanger?

The mass flow rate plays a crucial role in the efficiency of a heat exchanger. A higher mass flow rate means more fluid is being heated or cooled per unit time, leading to a higher heat transfer rate and increased efficiency. However, too high of a flow rate can also result in pressure drops and decreased efficiency.

5. Can the mass flow rate in a heat exchanger be controlled?

Yes, the mass flow rate in a heat exchanger can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate or flow velocity of the fluid, changing the design or size of the exchanger, or using flow control valves. It is important to carefully consider the desired flow rate for optimal efficiency and performance of the exchanger.