The Math You Need to Learn Physics (Introductory Level)

• Thread starter Exoplanet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Physics.In summary, I would recommend that you find an algebra textbook, try the assessment, and either start that book or find the book that precedes that book.
Exoplanet
Hello everyone; hopefully the title was sufficiently descriptive. Essentially, I'm trying to learn physics. I've been looking through various college physics textbooks, and while some of the problems make sense to me, most of them don't, and I believe it is because I lack the foundation in the math. In fact, I often lack the foundation even in the algebra. I had a pretty poor math education throughout high school, which doesn't help matters.

Anyways, I need suggestions for textbooks I should read to get a good ground in the math foundation before moving on to the physics. What algebra textbooks should I start with? Should I move on from reading algebra to trigonometry to calculus, or is there some specific sequence that is recommended? To give you an idea, I'm talking about the math you need to know for a typical first-year college physics course, and what textbooks you can find it in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when I finished HS, my math skills were very poor. I started college with remedial math which equated to about 8th grade pre-algebra. I advanced through everything and am just about to pass University Calculus III and Physics II.

I took pre-calculus while taking Intro to Physics, and I felt well equipped for the course.

You need to find out where exactly your skills are at, usually texts have assessment chapters in the beginning - skills you should know before starting that book. Find an algebra text, try the assessment, and either start that book or find the book that precedes that book.

basic algebra > Elementary algebra > intermediate algebra > college algebra > pre-calculus

If you are planning to major in physics (or a similar field or want to learn what physics major learns) you will take a Calculus-based introductory physics course. This means, that up until this point you should have a solid grasp of elementary algebra (Algebra II is the high school course) and trigonometry. You can take calculus while you take the first introductory physics course and still get an A, but if you are self-studying physics I'd recommend at least learning the equivalent of a first-semester calculus course before trying to learn physics. A decent understanding of trigonometry is a prerequisite, and you should be able to do algebra flawlessly. This is true for both calculus and physics.

For a small, concise, and quick book that will teach you high school geometry, algebra, and trigonometry in about 120 pages, I'd recommend

Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell, by George F. Simmons.

You can find it for $10 on Amazon.

It covers:

Geometry

- Triangles, Circles, Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres

Algebra

- Basics (pre-algebra/algebra I stuff)

- Functions and Graphs

- Special Topics (Logarithms, Division of Polynomials, Systems of Equations, Sequences and Series, Permuations and Combinations)

Trigonometry

Now, the book does not have many problems, but it is very easy to find problems online. The explanations in the book might be to sparse if this is your first time learning these subjects, as well. I'd recommend using online sources like Khan Academy and PatrickJMT for good intuitive explanations. Just search on their youtube channels key words from the topic you're learning.

Overall though, this book has every single topic I've learned in high school, and a few extras. If you are diligent with self-studying it works great, and it is to the point.

I looked through the books by Simmons and solved some problems. I ordered some textbooks on Elementary and Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Physics and have been self-studying through the algebra textbooks. I answered almost all problems correctly and it seemed fairly straightforward.

However, I went and took a math placement exam for school today and know I'm going to end up being placed in the lowest category based on my score. After that test I was extremely depressed and discouraged. I mean, I want to study physics but I have to hope that you can improve your math skills based on practice. If I get placed in the lowest category, it's going to take me forever to graduate (and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's going to take way too long to graduate). I was going to try to take classes over the summer to help reduce the time it takes to graduate, but I don't think I can afford staying over the summer. I'm going to keep self-studying through the algebra textbooks.

Last edited:
Exoplanet said:
Hello everyone; hopefully the title was sufficiently descriptive. Essentially, I'm trying to learn physics. I've been looking through various college physics textbooks, and while some of the problems make sense to me, most of them don't, and I believe it is because I lack the foundation in the math.

I would advise that you learn to appreciate first Physics but not to learn it with math straight ahead. Learn the concepts and admire the beauty of Physics. Take quantum physics for example, isn't it beautiful and so interesting that electrons can be at different places at once or pop out randomly from nowhere. You don't have to understand the math right away, but in knowing the beauty of its concept, one can appreciate it strongly than a person who jump straight ahead into math. As you can remember, and it is I think far more simpler than the modern scientific method, guessing is first, prior to calculating the consequences, then after those consequences the guess must agree with the environment, that is called experiment. Now, a brilliant scientist does not jump into a cliff of incomprehension, rather he approach it with a lot of contemplation and appreciation to the problem. This is exactly why I feel at contempt to schools, for inducing that science is about memorization rather than understanding first the concepts at hand.

Exoplanet said:
In fact, I often lack the foundation even in the algebra. I had a pretty poor math education throughout high school, which doesn't help matters.

Then we are on the same boat. I hate high school so much because it only presents the concepts that I need to memorize and then grade me for not memorizing it. I don't care about memorizing the slope intercept form or the quadratic formula, instead present it to me why is it important? How does it apply to the natural world? Or even the most important question of all, What is mathematics? Then after that comprehension then the concepts of mathematics becomes intrinsic to our way of thinking because we understand it and appreciate it.

Now with my advice, I am actually doing it right now, and I want to share it to my common fellows who experience the same thing. If you can't grasp algebra, study about arithmetic. If you can't grasp trigonometry, learn about algebra and geometry. If you can't grasp calculus, study algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Know also that mathematics is not the same thing as physics, but what they do is to help one another. Know that mathematics, is a symbolic representation of the universe. It explains the universe through symbols as we call as numbers to quantify it or make exact measurements.

Finally with the books, I advice old algebra books instead of modern ones since modern algebra books tend to be verbose while not explaining the importance of it. I would advise the series of books namely: Arithmetic for the practical man, Algebra for the practical man, Trigonometry for the practical man, Calculus for the practical man, all written by James Thompson, they are all available on the internet so just google them. I would advice learning arithmetic first and please do not tell me that you absolutely master it, cause I am willing to bet, and I maybe more likely to be false, that you don't know why arithmetic is important to algebra and that they are really just the same thing. So when learning I would advice is to be humble to yourself and learn the basics. Secondly, I would advise reading Euclid's Elements by Euclid to which is the Green Lion press edition.

Other than that, cheers and good luck to us both!

Last edited:
Likes member 620756
fde645 said:
I would advise that you learn to appreciate first Physics but not to learn it with math straight ahead. Learn the concepts and admire the beauty of Physics. Take quantum physics for example, isn't it beautiful and so interesting that electrons can be at different places at once or pop out randomly from nowhere. You don't have to understand the math right away, but in knowing the beauty of its concept, one can appreciate it strongly than a person who jump straight ahead into math. As you can remember, and it is I think far more simpler than the modern scientific method, guessing is first, prior to calculating the consequences, then after those consequences the guess must agree with the environment, that is called experiment. Now, a brilliant scientist does not jump into a cliff of incomprehension, rather he approach it with a lot of contemplation and appreciation to the problem. This is exactly why I feel at contempt to schools, for inducing that science is about memorization rather than understanding first the concepts at hand.

I appreciate the beauty of physics but I also understand that I need a lot more math before I can understand it conceptually. I obviously couldn't understand quantum mechanics with the level of math I'm at now. I can't even really understand classical mechanics besides at a very rudimentary level. As I said, I ordered two textbooks on physics, but I'm not really going to bother trying to seriously work through them until I get a much better grasp of the math.

Then we are on the same boat. I hate high school so much because it only presents the concepts that I need to memorize and then grade me for not memorizing it. I don't care about memorizing the slope intercept form or the quadratic formula, instead present it to me why is it important? How does it apply to the natural world? Or even the most important question of all, What is mathematics? Then after that comprehension then the concepts of mathematics becomes intrinsic to our way of thinking because we understand it and appreciate it.

I understand what you're saying. I got good grades in high school math but my math education was horrendous. It was all rote memorization and no underlying explanation of the concepts.

Now with my advice, I am actually doing it right now, and I want to share it to my common fellows who experience the same thing. If you can't grasp algebra, study about arithmetic. If you can't grasp trigonometry, learn about algebra and geometry. If you can't grasp calculus, study algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Know also that mathematics is not the same thing as physics, but what they do is to help one another. Know that mathematics, is a symbolic representation of the universe. It explains the universe through symbols as we call as numbers to quantify it or make exact measurements.

Finally with the books, I advice old algebra books instead of modern ones since modern algebra books tend to be verbose while not explaining the importance of it. I would advise the series of books namely: Arithmetic for the practical man, Algebra for the practical man, Trigonometry for the practical man, Calculus for the practical man, all written by James Thompson, they are all available on the internet so just google them. I would advice learning arithmetic first and please do not tell me that you absolutely master it, cause I am willing to bet, and I maybe more likely to be false, that you don't know why arithmetic is important to algebra and that they are really just the same thing. So when learning I would advice is to be humble to yourself and learn the basics. Secondly, I would advise reading Euclid's Elements by Euclid to which is the Green Lion press edition.

Other than that, cheers and good luck to us both!
Alright, I'll look into those books as well. Right now, the books I've got:

- Trigonometry by McKeague
- College Algebra by Blitzer
- Elementary and Intermediate Algebra by Dugopolski

Right now, I feel very, very stupid, but I'll keep studying regardless.

Last edited:
Exoplanet said:
I appreciate the beauty of physics but I also understand that I need a lot more math before I can understand it conceptually. I obviously couldn't understand quantum mechanics with the level of math I'm at now. I can't even really understand classical mechanics besides at a very rudimentary level. As I said, I ordered two textbooks on physics, but I'm not really going to bother trying to seriously work through them until I get a much better grasp of the math.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I don't know calculus which is important in physics. But i don't need math to understand quantum physics, for I do understand it conceptually and comprehensively. Electrons when heated jumps out out of the said orbit and physicist call it the quantum leap. Do I need math to understand that? I don't know the exact reason why, but understanding its beauty and its importance is an overwhelming experience. Take it in step by step. Actually I envy those people who learned calculus at the very early age prior to college. But who cares? Knowing your own failures and incapabilities at a very early age is far more better than a person who thinks they will never fail. Being introduced to a humbling experience such as not knowing mathematics immediately is far more better than to be introduced to a delusion that success is an all perpetually pervading experience and failure will never visit you. Isn't it a better experience and whole lot story to tell one day, that I learned mathematics and physics on my own pure hardwork, on my own hard earned labor. But do understand that mathematics is important, and don't use this as a justification on not learning it on the future.

If the young generation of today, thinks of physics as rather a complicated, sophisticated, and only the field of a genius and a brilliant intellect, I do worry about the future. How would we progress?

Last edited:
fde645 said:
But i don't need math to understand quantum physics, for I do understand it conceptually and comprehensively.

Honestly, that's bull. You do need math to understand quantum physics. Math is the language of physics.

fde645 said:
But i don't need math to understand quantum physics, for I do understand it conceptually and comprehensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WS0WN7zMQ

Yes, I do agree with Feynman, my dear sirs, but if you are just exposed to the concepts without the meaning of it, without the importance of it. How would it even occur to the mind of an aspiring physicist if you are just given the things to remember. I didn't say that math is not important it is! I even said that calculus is important to physics.
And yes I do acknowledge my error saying physics can be understand without math it can't, all I'm saying is that physics should be appreciated first.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the position I'm at right now is where I'm pretty much on step 1 of step 1000 in terms of getting where I need to be to graduate. I've got both elementary and college algebra, trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus to learn/re-learn before I can even start taking your basic chemistry class. This, in conjunction with other bad decisions I've made in life, is going to cost me dearly in terms of time it takes to graduate. It's actually rather depressing, but there's nothing I can do about it at this point. Right now, all I'm doing is pretty much practicing as much as possible.

fde645 said:
Yes, I do agree with Feynman, my dear sirs, but if you are just exposed to the concepts without the meaning of it, without the importance of it. How would it even occur to the mind of an aspiring physicist if you are just given the things to remember. I didn't say that math is not important it is! I even said that calculus is important to physics.
And yes I do acknowledge my error saying physics can be understand without math it can't, all I'm saying is that physics should be appreciated first.

This is not possible all the time, and I will also argue that without understanding the mathematics, you are only understanding physics at a very superficial level! So you can't even appreciate it "first"!

I've written elsewhere on why a lot of people find quantum mechanics to be so difficult, and I presented the argument on why it is probably due to their lack of understanding of the mathematics. Despite what you have said, I do not believe you know what QM is. You only know the EFFECTS of QM, but not its true ideas and description, which can only be understood via mathematics, which is not in dispute.

But more importantly, without mathematics, what you will see are these various disjointed ideas and phenomena, without any realization that they are either the manifestation of the same thing, or that these have similarities. Would you be able to realize that the same phenomenon that causes the celestial bodies to orbit a system is also responsible for an apple falling to the ground? Would you realize that the same description of the interaction of quasiparticles in a superconductor actually is a mathematical equivalent of the Higgs mechanism?

These were NOT realized simply by understanding physics intuitively, but being able to actually understand the mathematical description of it! You only get a superficial glimpse of physics without the mathematics. Period!

Coming back to the OP's question: You need to know Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry (which should come with Geometry), and Intro Calculus to be able to do calculus-based intro Physics.

Zz.

Here is the lower division math sequence at Pierce college:
-Prealgebra
-Elementary Algebra
-Plane Geometry/Intermediate Algebra
-Trigonometry
-Precalculus
-Calculus 1
-Calculus 2
-Calculus 3/Linear Algebra
-Differential Equations

The early classes are offered summer/winter (the first year I attended they offered up to calculus 2 in the summer, but have since ceased doing so, although some schools still do). So assuming you start out in prealgebra, it would be possible to be in trigonometry by the start of the next year. I was placed into trigonometry when I started school, although all the classes were full in fall so I didn't get to take it until spring. After that I took precalculus in the summer, calculus 1 in the fall, and calculus 2 in the spring and then transferred to UCLA where I took calculus 3A, linear algebra, and differential equations fall followed by calculus 3B winter. I will be graduating this June after a total of two years at community college and two at UCLA (so four altogether). So with an extra year tacked on for the early math classes, it would still be perfectly possible to graduate in five years total (plus you can self study and get all your GE out of the way while you are taking the earlier math).

Math goes by quickly in college. A year's worth of high school math can be completed in as little as eight weeks in college, so even if you start out in prealgebra, time-wise, you probably aren't as behind as you think. Just start at community college (which is a lot cheaper than a university), work hard, and be patient; you will get to where you want to be soon enough.

Likes 1 person
I'm already in a university, but I've primarily taken Gen-Ed courses. I agree that I should probably go to a community college, and then transfer, but I'm already here now. It's not that great of a school, but at least the tuition isn't ridiculous like it is in some colleges. It's really only going to take me forever to graduate if I can't afford to take classes over the summer.

I think most universities will let you do summer courses at community college, so you can do the lower division math there. You can also probably do winter at community college if your school is on the semester system.

FAQ: The Math You Need to Learn Physics (Introductory Level)

1. What specific math topics do I need to know for introductory level physics?

To successfully learn introductory level physics, you will need to have a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some key concepts to focus on include solving equations, graphing, and using trigonometric functions.

2. How important is it to have a strong math background for studying physics?

Having a strong math background is crucial for studying physics, as many of the concepts and equations in physics are based on mathematical principles. Without a solid understanding of math, it may be difficult to grasp and apply the concepts in physics.

3. Can I still learn physics if I struggle with math?

While a strong math background is helpful for studying physics, it is still possible to learn and understand the subject even if you struggle with math. It may require extra effort and practice, but with determination and support, you can still succeed in learning physics.

4. What is the best way to improve my math skills for studying physics?

The best way to improve your math skills for studying physics is to practice regularly. Work through problems and equations, seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed, and try to make connections between math and physics concepts. Additionally, reviewing and reinforcing fundamental math principles can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any online resources available to help with learning the necessary math for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with learning the necessary math for physics. Some websites offer tutorials, practice problems, and interactive tools to help you improve your math skills specifically for physics. You can also find online courses, forums, and study guides that focus on the math needed for introductory level physics.