The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes

In summary, a black hole is a region in space with a strong gravitational pull due to a dense and compact mass. The mathematical theory behind black holes is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity. The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which depends on its mass. Nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. The center of a black hole is the singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume where the laws of physics break down.
jvicens
I'm looking for the following book:
The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes by Chandrasekhar, S.
I have not been able to find it.
Do you know where I can buy one, old or new?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Unfortunately, I do not know where you can purchase a copy of "The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes" by Chandrasekhar, S. You can also try searching for second-hand copies on websites like Amazon or eBay. I hope you are able to find a copy of the book you are looking for. Good luck!

Related to The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with such a strong gravitational pull that even light cannot escape from it. This is caused by a very dense and compact mass, usually formed from the collapse of a massive star.

2. What is the mathematical theory behind black holes?

The mathematical theory of black holes is based on Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. This theory describes how gravity works and explains the curvature of space and time around objects with large masses, such as black holes.

3. How is the size of a black hole determined?

The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that gets too close to the black hole's gravitational pull. The size of the event horizon depends on the mass of the black hole.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. This is because the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape from it.

5. What happens at the center of a black hole?

At the center of a black hole lies the singularity, a point where the gravitational pull becomes infinite and the laws of physics break down. It is believed that the singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume.