The meaning of Finding the largest values

• Thread starter dgales4130
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of scalar properties and how they relate to a specific problem involving the dot product. The question of why the scalar value is -6 when the vectors are parallel is raised, and the concept of work in relation to scalar values is also discussed. The conversation ends with a clarification on the meaning of scalar values and how they differ from temperature, another type of scalar value.
dgales4130

Homework Statement

It sounds like a simple question but I am wonder what the scalar properties --mean-- with a problem like this

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/274/dotproduct.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why/how is the it -6 when they are parallel ? I like the idea of mastering the basics and I can't wrap my head around this scalar value .

Homework Equations

A /dot B ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the work but I don't understand. I know why 3*2=6 but I am not sure what this -6 scalar thing mean. I have tried to relate it to the shadow illustration and the ideas of work but I am not real owning the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok it is really simple scalars are some of the basic things in geometry/w.e. What a scalar/dot value means is ll u ll * ll v ll * cos(uv) and that means that the dot value will be 0 when θ=90° because cos (90)=0 and greatest when theta is 0 because cos(0)=1 degrees and least when theta is 180 degrees because cos(180)=-1.

When would the value -6 be relevant in terms of work ? or swimming down a river ? Is it a summation of force ? Temperature is a scalar value , I get that but what does this value represent ?

For example when you lift up an object you do a positive amount of work on it, when you lower an object you do a negative amount of work. The positive amount of work means you have to put energy into the system, the negative work corresponds to you (potentially) gaining energy assuming you capture it efficiently.

Temperature being a scalar value and this being a scalar product are two separate things. The word 'scalar' basically just means 'number', in this particular context it means 'not a vector'. We have two vectors, and the scalar product means 'product that is giving us a number, not a vector' (since there does exist a way to "multiply" vectors to get another vector this terminology is used to distinguish the two). Temperatures and scalar products have nothing to do with each other other than the fact that they are both numbers, but then again so are lots of things

Related to The meaning of Finding the largest values

What does "Finding the largest values" mean?

"Finding the largest values" refers to the process of identifying and determining the highest or maximum values within a given set of data. This can be done through various methods such as sorting, comparing, or using mathematical algorithms.

Why is it important to find the largest values?

Finding the largest values is important in many fields of science, such as statistics, economics, and engineering. It allows us to analyze and understand patterns and trends within the data, make informed decisions, and identify outliers or anomalies that may affect the overall results.

How do scientists find the largest values?

Scientists use various techniques and tools to find the largest values depending on the type of data they are working with. This can include using computer programs, statistical software, or manual calculations using formulas and equations.

What are some real-world applications of finding the largest values?

Finding the largest values has many practical applications. For example, in finance, it can help investors identify the stocks with the highest returns, in medicine it can help identify the most effective treatments, and in manufacturing it can help optimize production processes.

Are there any limitations to finding the largest values?

Yes, there can be limitations to finding the largest values depending on the data set and the method used. For example, if the data is skewed or has extreme outliers, it may not accurately reflect the true largest values. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the limitations and potential biases when interpreting the results of finding the largest values.