The mechanism of entangled particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entangled photons and the idea of superposition in measurements. The participants consider the possibility of a photon passing a polarisation filter and being in a superposition of having passed and not passed, as well as the measuring device being in a superposition of detecting and not detecting the photon. They also discuss the role of the Schrodinger equation and the measurement problem in making these determinations. The conversation also touches upon the idea of retrocausality and the use of the wave-function as an explanation for non-locality in entanglement.
Derek P said:
Making the observer fundamentally different from the rest of the universe is the second biggest source of confusion in quantum physics.

To my mind, the “artificial” split between object and conscious subject seems to be the source for the ongoing confusion when reasoning about quantum mechanics. As long as one insists on thinking about quantum phenomena with classical ideas (objective physical reality etc.) one will always run into dead ends. That we are conscious, self-knowing beings, we know for sure; no pointer readings are necessary to infer this fact. The rest of the universe? Who knows?

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Jestocost said:
As long as one insists on thinking about quantum phenomena with classical ideas (objective physical reality etc.) one will always run into dead ends. That we are conscious, self-knowing beings, we know for sure; no pointer readings are necessary to infer this fact. The rest of the universe? Who knows?

As I have mentioned before about your view of QM I think Dirac would be proud. Even I don't go quite that far - but we are getting off topic - you are of course correct - my view, just as an example, does make assumptions about the consciousness external world split that QM really says nothing about.

But regarding the measurement question here is some technicalities about measurement theory in its more modern form:
http://www.quantum.umb.edu/Jacobs/QMT/QMT_Chapter1.pdf

The title of the thread can be answered very easily buy just using the superposition principle on combined systems. You have two systems that can be in state |a> or |b>. If system 1 is in state |a> and system 2 in |b> that is written as |a>|b>. If system 1 is in state |b> and system 2 in state |a> that is written as state |b>|a>. But the principle of superposition says given any two states they can be in a superposition ie ci*|a>|b> + c2*b>|a>. Such systems are said to be entangled which is a peculiar kind of non-classical situation.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
The title of the thread can be answered very easily buy just using the superposition principle on combined systems. You have two systems that can be in state |a> or |b>. If system 1 is in state |a> and system 2 in |b> that is written as |a>|b>. If system 1 is in state |b> and system 2 in state |a> that is written as state |b>|a>. But the principle of superposition says given any two states they can be in a superposition ie ci*|a>|b> + c2*b>|a>. Such systems are said to be entangled which is a peculiar kind of non-classical situation.
Is it the principle of superposition that makes entanglement possible, bhobba? (together with product states)

A product state seems to set a relation between Alice and Bob as to per decree: ##|a \rangle |b \rangle## says that if Alice measures ##|a \rangle##, Bob measures ##|b \rangle##, which is like setting a non-local relation condition, it seems to me. If this is physically real, non-locality is physically real, right? And if non-locality is not physically real, do we have right to declare non-locality in our math via the product state?

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
Is it the principle of superposition that makes entanglement possible, bhobba? (together with product states)

Yes. Strictly speaking though it's a separate axiom.

entropy1 said:
A product state seems to set a relation between Alice and Bob as to per decree: ##|a \rangle |b \rangle## says that if Alice measures ##|a \rangle##, Bob measures ##|b \rangle##, which is like setting a non-local relation condition, it seems to me. If this is physically real, non-locality is physically real, right? And if non-locality is not physically real, do we have right to declare non-locality in our math via the product state?

Please rephrase - physically real is not a useful concept in physics because you can't define it - in relation to Bell contextual is a better word.

I have explained it many times - its simply an unusual relation two systems can have with statistical properties not the same as normal probability theory.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DrChinese